Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Kiia Kallio <ba...@fathammer.com> on 2003/10/06 13:44:02 UTC

Re: SVG Widgets

Guillaume Pothier wrote:

> Is somebody interested in creating/using SVG/js widgets?
> For a nice example of SVG widgets, see
> http://www.mycgiserver.com/~amri/widget.cocoon.xml, but with Adobe's
> browser only, as these use Adobe properietary extensions.
>
> Has anyone been successful in implementing widgets? Or in having a
> widget toolkit function in Batik?

There is this joint effort called S.P.A.R.K. that was presented in SVG Open 2003.
The URL is http://www.schemasoft.org/

(However, I already expressed my doubts about the idea of duplicating a traditional
WIMP interface with SVG in the conference. The reason why I see very little sense
in creating widgets with SVG is that first, there already exists Java and all the
other API's for different OS's for doing the same thing in much more effective way,
and second, if you do GUI's with SVG, why on earth limit it to the traditional WIMP
approach when you can do much more interesting and intuitive user interfaces when
you unleash the full graphical potential of SVG.)

> Guillaume

Kiia Kallio
Software Engineer
Fathammer Ltd.