Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Mariano Kamp <mk...@codamax.com> on 2000/12/30 23:18:45 UTC

How to debug?

Hi,

  I recently switched to Linux and therefore I am now using ant and emacs
instead of Visual Age Java.

  I am not using VAJ on Linux, because IBM is not providing a recent
version of it on Linux. The second reason is that VAJ is based on a
database, the repository, which is pretty good, but makes it hard to
integrate with cvs etc.

  Anyway. The only thing I am really missing is the debugger. How do you
guys debug your applications/servlets?

Regards,
Mariano

--
mariano kamp
codamax ag

61348 bad homburg v.d.h.
germany

phone  +49 6172 182 473
fax    +49 6172 182 475
mobile +49 177 727 9468

Re: How to debug?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/31/2000 4:22 AM, "Mariano Kamp" <mk...@codamax.com> wrote:

> Well, actually in most cases I see it the same way as you do. And
> overriding toString() is a thing I do in almost very class I write, still
> it's not working for everything and if you want to do complex navigation
> println() hurts alot.

Huh?

> Besides that you always have to recompile and redeploy your code.

If you use a good build system (Ant) or a good IDE (Kawa) then that isn't a
problem.

-jon

Re: How to debug?

Posted by Mariano Kamp <mk...@codamax.com>.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 12/30/2000 2:18 PM, "Mariano Kamp" <mk...@codamax.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyway. The only thing I am really missing is the debugger. How do you
> > guys debug your applications/servlets?
>
> Also, System.out.println works just fine with Tomcat running under its built
> in HTTPd. I rarely find myself having to step through individual lines of
> code with a debugger and I find debuggers to be slow and not really worth it
> when you could just put a println() in your code to find the same exact
> information out.

Well, actually in most cases I see it the same way as you do. And
overriding toString() is a thing I do in almost very class I write, still
it's not working for everything and if you want to do complex navigation
println() hurts alot. Besides that you always have to recompile and
redeploy your code.

Mariano

--
mariano kamp
codamax ag

61348 bad homburg v.d.h.
germany

phone  +49 6172 182 473
fax    +49 6172 182 475
mobile +49 177 727 9468

Re: How to debug?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 12/30/2000 2:18 PM, "Mariano Kamp" <mk...@codamax.com> wrote:

> Anyway. The only thing I am really missing is the debugger. How do you
> guys debug your applications/servlets?

With Turbine it is quite easy as all exceptions are caught for you and
displayed nicely. That is the way I like to do development. :-)