Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/12 10:46:21 UTC

subversion repository backup

Hello All,

I am using fsync to back my subversion repository. This is not the ideal way
to make a backup and I faced some issues probably because the files were
copied in the wrong order.

Subversion book talks about "svnsync" and "svnadmin hotcopy" for repository
backup. I have a few queries regarding this:

1. svnsync: This only syncs the revisions. How do I sync all other
configuration files,hooks and files which reside inside the repository
directory?
2. svnsync: The advice is to maintain a "mirror copy" which has only read
permissions. But we have scenarios when we need to make commits on the back
up repository. (We used to do the same with CVS repository. When the primary
repository was restored we committed the changes again on the primary
repository). Hence, can I have a mirror copy which has write permissions.
Will there be any side effects?
3. svnadmin hotcopy: There are two ways to do it (incremental and full
copy). I prefer to use full copy.
    We use the same path for the repository on the main and backup server.
    a. Can I run a svnadmin copy directly to create a copy on the backup
server?
    b. Should I do a hotcopy on the local server and then do a rsync to the
backup server. Will there be any issues when rsync happens (should I use a
staging area to rsync and then copy to the desired location)?

Any insight into this would be really helpful!!

Thanks
Vinay

Re: subversion repository backup

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.
Nope. We wouldn't be using the slave unless the master server is down for
some reason. But when it is down we would need the slave copy usable.

-Vinay

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vinay i <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ryan.

Posted by Edward Ned Harvey <ed...@patni.com>.
> You could use rsync or any other means to transfer those files.

ONLY if you stop your svnserver first and start it again after the copy is finished.  Don't attempt to simply copy the server repository directory while the server is operating on it.  If you're lucky (which mostly depends on server load) it might work, but no guarantees.

This e-mail message may contain proprietary, confidential or legally privileged information for the sole use of the person or entity to whom this message was originally addressed. Any review, e-transmission dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, please notify us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.

RE: subversion repository backup

Posted by Edward Ned Harvey <ed...@patni.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Dec 12, 2008, at 04:46, vinay i wrote:

> I am using fsync to back my subversion repository. This is not the
> ideal way to make a backup and I faced some issues probably because
> the files were copied in the wrong order.
>
> Subversion book talks about "svnsync" and "svnadmin hotcopy" for
> repository backup. I have a few queries regarding this:
>
> 1. svnsync: This only syncs the revisions. How do I sync all other
> configuration files,hooks and files which reside inside the
> repository directory?

You could use rsync or any other means to transfer those files.

> 2. svnsync: The advice is to maintain a "mirror copy" which has
> only read permissions. But we have scenarios when we need to make
> commits on the back up repository. (We used to do the same with CVS
> repository. When the primary repository was restored we committed
> the changes again on the primary repository). Hence, can I have a
> mirror copy which has write permissions. Will there be any side
> effects?

The mirror must be read-only. However you can configure a write-
through proxy so that write requests (e.g. commits) to the mirror's
URL get transparently sent through to the master instead.

> 3. svnadmin hotcopy: There are two ways to do it (incremental and
> full copy). I prefer to use full copy.

Where do you see that? AFAIK there is only "svnadmin hotcopy" which
(always) creates a complete copy of the repository.

>     We use the same path for the repository on the main and backup
> server.
>     a. Can I run a svnadmin copy directly to create a copy on the
> backup server?
>     b. Should I do a hotcopy on the local server and then do a
> rsync to the backup server. Will there be any issues when rsync
> happens (should I use a staging area to rsync and then copy to the
> desired location)?

svnadmin hotcopy, like all other svnadmin commands, needs direct
filesystem access to the repository. It cannot operate over the
Subversion protocols like http:// or svn://. So that probably means
(b). I didn't understand your concern about a staging area for rsync.

Re: subversion repository backup

Posted by Brian Brophy <br...@gmail.com>.
The backup scheme we use is the following:
- Every commit is backed-up to a dump of the revision committed using a
post-commit hook.  We keep these for 30 days.
- 4:00 AM Daily, svnadmin hotcopy dumps the repository to a backup
location.  These are kept for 3 days.
- The host itself (including the repository) also participates in a
standard saturday full, daily differential backup scheme where
individual week's data is kept 6 weeks, Saturday fulls are kept 4
months, and the first Saturday of every month is kept for one year.

I like the post-commit hook to backup each transaction as it becomes a
handy way to manually restore the repository using the committed
transactions in the order they were committed as a tedious last resort
option.

Brian

Posted by Brian Brophy <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.