Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2009/08/16 20:18:40 UTC

RoR/scaffolding and other ramblings

Guys,

I had a thought this morning that I haven't fully ironed out in my own mind,
but wanted to see what other people think. We've talked before about RoR and
how many people like the idea of scaffolding for RAD. Well, it occurred to me
that with Musachy's new JSP compiler plugin, it would be possible (with a
little work) to generate JSPs in-memory.

Musachy also created a plugin a while ago called strutson that read models
(JPA entities) and generates results.

My thought is to combine these two ideas to create a scaffolding system for
struts that brings in the things that we have like the two tools mentioned as
well as getting conventions and the upcoming jquery plugin. What I'm thinking
is to create a tool that - given a set of persistent models (JPA entities, JDO
entities, Hibernate entities, etc.), that the rest of the app is generated
either in-memory or via command line mechanism (maven plugin comes to mind).

I would want to make the model reader and template generators pluggable, and
probably start with JDO (looking for GAE support) and JSP for the templates.
But, the goal would be that given a set of entities, someone could be one
command / plugin config away from having a running "Web 2.0" app.

Does anyone have thoughts on something like this? Obviously this wouldn't be
meant to take the place of the traditional app development lifecycle, but it
could make it very easy to prototype simple apps.

To go after it, I would utilize a generic DAO and make list, edit, create and
delete actions available on each model entity. Then, link from each entity to
it's related entities. Anyhow, I'm not an RoR user, so I'd also like to hear
from any serious RoR users as to how something like this would compare.

-Wes
--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: RoR/scaffolding and other ramblings

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Gotcha--I misunderstood.

Dave

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.
AppFuse doesn't do in-memory scaffolding - just generated-files type
scaffolding. I'd love to enhance its Struts 2 flavor to support what
you're talking about.

Matt

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Wes Wannemacher<we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I had a thought this morning that I haven't fully ironed out in my own mind,
> but wanted to see what other people think. We've talked before about RoR and
> how many people like the idea of scaffolding for RAD. Well, it occurred to me
> that with Musachy's new JSP compiler plugin, it would be possible (with a
> little work) to generate JSPs in-memory.
>
> Musachy also created a plugin a while ago called strutson that read models
> (JPA entities) and generates results.
>
> My thought is to combine these two ideas to create a scaffolding system for
> struts that brings in the things that we have like the two tools mentioned as
> well as getting conventions and the upcoming jquery plugin. What I'm thinking
> is to create a tool that - given a set of persistent models (JPA entities, JDO
> entities, Hibernate entities, etc.), that the rest of the app is generated
> either in-memory or via command line mechanism (maven plugin comes to mind).
>
> I would want to make the model reader and template generators pluggable, and
> probably start with JDO (looking for GAE support) and JSP for the templates.
> But, the goal would be that given a set of entities, someone could be one
> command / plugin config away from having a running "Web 2.0" app.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on something like this? Obviously this wouldn't be
> meant to take the place of the traditional app development lifecycle, but it
> could make it very easy to prototype simple apps.
>
> To go after it, I would utilize a generic DAO and make list, edit, create and
> delete actions available on each model entity. Then, link from each entity to
> it's related entities. Anyhow, I'm not an RoR user, so I'd also like to hear
> from any serious RoR users as to how something like this would compare.
>
> -Wes

If not mistaken, I believe that Rife used to have this - you might
want to check it out.

- Phil

--
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
- Randy Pausch