Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Mielke <ma...@mark.mielke.cc> on 2009/03/11 16:36:03 UTC

Another svn:ignore without inheritance woe?

Hi all:

I have seen comments for and against automatic property application on
mkdir, run time inheritance, or leaving behaviour as is. This is more of
a scenario to raise awareness of this issue again and see whether any
developers have had any progress on this issue.

Scenario:
    1) User deletes directory with svn:ignore and automatically
generated content.
    2) User creates new directory and adds content + generated content.
    3) User does 'svn add' as they normally do, but this time there is
no svn:ignore. Automatically generated content is added.
    4) User commits.

Sure this is a user error of one or more kind - but it's not
unreasonable for the user to expect to be able to recover in the
step-by-step fashion described above.

I think automatic property creation of svn:ignore on mkdir would only
work if it was done as part of the 'svn add' before implementing the
recurse for that directory. Seems a bit yucky. What we would really love
is inheritance at run time. The three-letter dirty word GIT provides
this function and it seems to work great? :-)

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <ma...@mielke.cc>

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1308555

Re: Another svn:ignore without inheritance woe?

Posted by Mark Mielke <ma...@mark.mielke.cc>.
Mark Mielke wrote:
> Scenario:
>     1) User deletes directory with svn:ignore and automatically
> generated content.
>     2) User creates new directory and adds content + generated content.
>     3) User does 'svn add' as they normally do, but this time there is
> no svn:ignore. Automatically generated content is added.
>     4) User commits

Sorry to noisy the list - the above is probably correct if you insert a
commit between 2) and 3). The exact scenario seems to be closer to:

> The scenario is:
> 1. Directory exists with svn:ignore
> 2. Developer A builds the project, which generates content in the
> directory
> 3. Developer B deletes the directory and commits
> 4. Developer A updates - but the directory does not get removed because
> it is not empty
> 5. Developer A commits - the directory gets re-added, along with all the
> generated content (Commit using Eclipse - Team -> Commit - automatic add?)

This seems like it may be even more likely to happen on accident in
regular work flows (although not more likely than directory removals of
directories that have svn:ignore'd content of course).

Thanks,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <ma...@mielke.cc>