Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Rupert Woodman <ru...@woodman.me.uk> on 2007/04/01 20:42:56 UTC

Basic problem

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Jakarta taglibs (1.1.2) with Tomcat 5.5.23, and am
failing miserably!
I've looked at newsgroups, the Jakarta taglibs tutorial, and archives of
this mailing list, but still haven't got it working and I don't think that
I've done anything differently to what other people have done who have
reported it works for them.  I'm sure it's something really silly, but I've
spend some hours on it now, and am getting frustrated - could someone point
out the problem to me please?

I downloaded and unzipped Tomcat 5.5.23.  All seems fine - am using basic
JSPs and servlets ok.
I downloaded jakarta-taglibs-standard-1.1.2.zip (from a couple of mirrors,
hoping that I'd got a duff one somehow).  I unzipped this, and copied the 2
jar files into the WEB-INF\lib directory of my application.
That's all I've done.  I understand that with 1.1 I don't need to do
anything with the web.xml file.  From looking at other notestreams about
this, I understand I don't need to do anything with the tld files as they
are now included in the jar files, tho I can't see any sign of them.

My web.xml header line is as follows:

<web-app
id="WebApp_ID"
version="2.4"
xmlns="HYPERLINK
"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
xmlns:xsi="HYPERLINK
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-
instance" xsi:schemaLocation="HYPERLINK
"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee HYPERLINK
"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/
j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd">

which looks good to me.

Tomcat gives me the following error:

HTTP Status 500 -

type Exception report
message
description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.
exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri: HYPERLINK
"http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core cannot
be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this
application

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHandler.
java:51)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java:409
)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java:116
)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.generateTLDLocation(TagLibrary
InfoImpl.java:317)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java
:148)
 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:424)
 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:493)
 org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1557)
etc

I have a file called "response.tag" which if I put the taglib tag in it (1st
line). gives me the above error - works fine without it.

response.tag:

<%@ taglib uri="HYPERLINK
"http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"
prefix="c" %>

<%@ attribute name="username" required="false" %>

      <strong>
${username}
      </strong>

Any pointers would be very gratefully received.
Many thanks

20:54

RE: Basic problem

Posted by Rupert Woodman <ru...@woodman.me.uk>.
That's ok - I really just wanted to see that the page was being called as
expected, and I originally had a few additional lines which I've since
removed so whittle it down to as basic a level as possible.

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
${username} is an EL expression it does not require any taglib URI

But the web.xml needs to conform with Servlet 2.4 spec as indicated in
the previous post.

RE: Basic problem

Posted by Rupert Woodman <ru...@woodman.me.uk>.
If I have the taglib line in there, I get the error, if I remove the taglib
line, I get the error given.

Re: Basic problem

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.