Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com> on 2014/03/16 15:34:15 UTC

Use of fix version

"all issues with Unresolved Resolution and fixVersion of the release you
just made, and do a bulk change to the fixVersion to be both the trunk
version and the next version on the branch you just released from.  Uncheck
the box that says "send an email for these changes"."

It seems to me that a lot of issues are indicated to be fixed in the next
dot release when they are in fact very unlikely to be fixed in the next dot
release - or necessarily in trunk for that matter. Could someone explain the
rationale? I mean, shouldn't "Fix Version: 4.8" mean that there is a very
high likelihood of resolution in 4.8, rather than mere wishful thinking or
bulk bureaucratic assignment? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to use a
more "agile" methodology, with most issues being in an unassigned "backlog",
and being very selective what is targeted for the current "sprint"/next dot
release? Ditto for trunk - shouldn't it be more selective so that we can see
how close we are to finishing the high priority issues needed for a trunk
release?

I mean, how useful is fix version in its current form?

And maybe there needs to be special formatting to highlight the importance
of "Uncheck the box that says "send an email for these changes"."", although
the omission of that step did highlight the main issue I mentioned.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by "David Smiley (@MITRE.org)" <DS...@mitre.org>.
Jack Krupansky-2 wrote
> And maybe there needs to be special formatting to highlight the importance
> of "Uncheck the box that says "send an email for these changes"."",
> although
> the omission of that step did highlight the main issue I mentioned.

My error was not neglecting to see that, it was letting JIRA bump the
fix-for versions as part of choosing "Release" menu next to the version in
the version screen.  So I added explicit instructions on the choice on the
wiki.

Sorry again.

To your larger point of fix-for versions... we can't stop users using them
how we might want them to be used, so there's little benefit in trying to
have it reflect some particular meaning (i.e. it really really will be
likely to be done by fix-for version).

~ David

-----
 Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book