Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/06 17:28:17 UTC

pruning projects @ ws

Folks,

These are my thoughts...what do you all think? We are spreading our
efforts too thin and we need to seriously think about down-sizing a
bit and focusing our efforts. Feel free to start a separate thread for
a specific project(s) that you are interested in keeping alive.

Addressing: Not much traffic/activity. Can we collapse this into Axis
1.X since it is specific to that version
EWS       : Not much traffic/activity. Archive it?
Mirae     : Not much traffic/activity. Archive it?
Muse      : Not much recent activity. Can we do one single project
with Muse/Pubscribe/WSRF
Pubscribe : Not much recent activity. Can we do one single project
with Muse/Pubscribe/WSRF
WSRF      : Not much recent activity. Can we do one single project
with Muse/Pubscribe/WSRF
Scout     : Donate to Geronimo?
SOAP      : Time to pull the plug? Archive it?
TSIK      : Not much traffic/activity. Think about stopping incubation?
WSIF      : Last legs? Time to pull the plug?

Of course, if any project (not just the ones listed above) wants to
become a separate TLP, that's another option as well.

Thanks,
dims

Re: Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Guillaume Sauthier <gu...@apache.org>.
Fernando Nasser wrote:

> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> OOPS! forwarding again with correct bcc's.
>>
>> These are my thoughts...what do you all think? We are spreading our
>> efforts too thin and we need to seriously think about down-sizing a
>> bit and focusing our efforts.
>

> This is the best New year's resolution ever! I have been asking for
> this, not only for Apache but for the Open Source community at large.
> Lets stop duplication efforts and concentrate on the best options we
> have.
>
> Feel free to start a separate thread for
>
>> a specific project(s) that you are interested in keeping alive.
>>

>> EWS : Not much traffic/activity. Archive it?
>

> Haven't Geronimo folks wrote an equivalent piece?

I think they "generate" on the fly implementation of web services
interfaces using cglib.
They don't use EWS AFAIK

> Either drop EWS or import the Geronimo version and convince them to
> get it from here?
>
> But there is now 'ews-mapper'. That is used in JOnAS.

Yep.
EWS seems to be pretty stable. I don't have to work often on bug fixes.

But as long as JOnAS use it, I want to be able to make changes in EWS
(who knows, maybe sometime in the future I will need to update that
thing :) ).
So if we decide to archive it (does it mean : no more commits ?) I will
have to move that piece of code in another repository (objectweb's repo).

So I agree that there is not uch activity on this project, but I have to
maintain it (at least the mapper part).

Re: Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Fernando Nasser <fn...@redhat.com>.
Happy New Year everyone!

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I always had the impression that JaxMe and XML-RPC were the most
inactive projects in the Apache world ... after browsing the mailing
list archives of the listed projects, I do no longer think so.

I am unable to express opinions on any of these projects, though.
Preferrably the project teams should decide, if possible. However, the
following question is raised for me: How come, that so many projects are
inactive?

I can think of many reasons for inactivity, not all of which are
negative. For example, if a projects purpose is the implementation of a
certain specification, then there may be a point, when the work is done.
This may well happen for some project. In the case of SOAP, there
obviosuly are successors. But still: Why so many?

It might help, if people with more insight than me could write some
words on the particular projects. If so, we could possibly derive
guidelines for the policy: When to establish a new project? When not?

Some things I could think of:

- JSR implementations might possibly be located under a new umbrella
   project for specifications. (See the thread on "Starting a java specs
   project" on general@incubator from last month.) That umbrella project
   (if it will be established) will most definitely have a different
   characteristic than ws and be used to mostly inactive subprojects.

- We should ask ourselves, how new subprojects are created. For example,
   a better idea might be to create a sandbox. New subprojects could be
   established in the sandbox. At some point, they might leave the
   sandbox. (This approach has worked well for Jakarta, I believe.)

Jochen

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
1) Addressing: Can we collapse this into Axis 1.X?  +1
2) EWS       : Not much traffic/activity. Archive it? +1
3) Can we do one single project, with Muse/Pubscribe/WSRF? +1
Just being curious, ay idea what it take to port these to Axis2? They
are critical if Axis2 to enter the GRID world

4) Scout     : Donate to Geronimo? 0+
5) SOAP      : Time to pull the plug? Archive it? +1
6) TSIK      : Not much traffic/activity. Think about stopping incubation? 0+
7) WSIF      : Last legs? Time to pull the plug? 0+

Thanks
Srinath

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Changshin Lee <ia...@gmail.com>.
Mirae is about to get out of its long inactivity with TCK
certification. In addition to that, JSR 279 and 280 are also
implemented in Mirae.

Happy new year,

Ias

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
+1 to archiving EWS (effort is duplicated in Geronimo)
+1 to merging Muse/Pubscribe/WSRF
+1 to archiving SOAP

Anne

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Fwd: pruning projects @ ws

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 12:45 -0500, Nirmal Mukhi wrote:
>

>>+1 to continuing keeping WSIF while there is interest from users and some
>>manpower available to maintain it.
>>
>>There still isn't anything else like WSIF available in the Apache WS
>>portfolio, so I'd like to see it staying around.
>>

>+1.
>
>FYI I have a grad student who's currently working on bringing the
>functionality of WSIF under Axis2 .. basically to use AXIOM as the
>replacement for WSIFMessage .. not sure how far it'll go yet but my gut
>says it could come out right.

yes it feel right and even elegant :-) s/he may want take a look on XSUL
where i have done precisely this using XPP3 OM (API that is directly
based on XML Infoset) to have WSIFMessage directly extend XmlElement and
allow all XML content to be put in WSIFMessage so no problems for
sending attributes or anything described in XML Schema with WSIF API
(there are many other improvements to WSIF that i prototyped as well)

best,

alek

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 12:45 -0500, Nirmal Mukhi wrote:

> +1 to continuing keeping WSIF while there is interest from users and some
> manpower available to maintain it.
>
> There still isn't anything else like WSIF available in the Apache WS
> portfolio, so I'd like to see it staying around.

+1.

FYI I have a grad student who's currently working on bringing the
functionality of WSIF under Axis2 .. basically to use AXIOM as the
replacement for WSIFMessage .. not sure how far it'll go yet but my gut
says it could come out right.

Sanjiva.

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Nirmal Mukhi <nm...@us.ibm.com>.

+1 to continuing keeping WSIF while there is interest from users and some
manpower available to maintain it.

There still isn't anything else like WSIF available in the Apache WS
portfolio, so I'd like to see it staying around.

Nirmal.

|         |           Aleksander       |
|         |           Slominski        |
|         |           <aslom@cs.indiana|
|         |           .edu>            |
|         |           01/07/2006 08:39 |
|         |           general          |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                       |
  |       To:       general@ws.apache.org                                                                                 |
  |       cc:       woden-dev@apache.org, wsif-dev@apache.org                                                             |
  |       Subject:  Re: pruning projects @ ws                                                                             |

Davanum Srinivas wrote:

>These are my thoughts...what do you all think? We are spreading our
>efforts too thin and we need to seriously think about down-sizing a
>bit and focusing our efforts. Feel free to start a separate thread for
>a specific project(s) that you are interested in keeping alive.

>WSIF      : Last legs? Time to pull the plug?

WSIF is currently in maintenance mode (fixing bugs etc.) and its future
depends on users interests -there were several inquiries and ideas what
to do but they did not go far (adding support for WSDL2 using Wooden and
AXIS2 is probably the most probable to happen).

if all goes well i will put a new (maintenance) release and update
website (after i re-forest my mind) but ultimately WSIF future really
depends on its users and developers - at least for now as long as there
is an interest i would like to see to having WSIF actively maintained.

thanks,

alek

Re: pruning projects @ ws

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.