Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> on 2013/03/05 00:09:20 UTC

Elevator Pitch / Top N Features

Hey all,

One of the things I'd like to work on in the next few weeks (as we get
ready for 4.1) is to make the text on our landing page (CloudStack.org)
a little more enticing/descriptive for folks.

Specifically I'd like to tighten up the "What Is?" section and highlight
between eight and 10 features (max) on the front page.

So - what features should we highlight? What are the *most* compelling
things about Apache CloudStack. Essentially, what's our elevator pitch
for CloudStack?

For example:

- Multi-hypervisor support (Xen, VMware, KVM)
- Apache-licensed
- Elegant UI that is a reference implementation of the native API

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: Elevator Pitch / Top N Features

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
This is a great idea! And I wish we'd done this sooner on another project
I'm involved with.

It's easy to get distracted with shiny things. But what is CloudStack's
*story*? I don't think UI or the license count.

I'd think about it in terms of, if you had to strip back CloudStack to the
two or three architectural features that define it. That you'd put at the
core of your design doc if you were to start over... What are they?

Posted by Kelly Hair <ke...@citrix.com>.
Here's a starter list:

1. Purpose built for cloud.
2. Open Source ­ large & growing community
3. APIs ­ both open & also fully compatible with AWS.
4. Multi-Hypervisor support as well as bare metal provisioning.
5. Workload agnostic ­ can support both enterprise workloads as well as
new cloud era architectures
6. Scalability. With region support this will grow even further.
7. Rich ecosystem.
8. Single pane of glass management.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 04:19:38PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> As a community, it is in our interests to promote CloudStack and paint it
> in a positive light. This is at odds with the interests of
> an encyclopaedia, which is to report important facts about notable subjects
> from a neutral point of view. For these reasons, it is usually frowned upon
> to contribute to bios about yourself, your company, your works, etc.

That, plus what I said about wikipedia wanting to be a tertiary source.  Any
updates should have a reference to a secondary source.

Re: Elevator Pitch / Top N Features

Posted by Robyn Bergeron <rb...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Tue, Mar 5, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> I see your point, on the other hand, if you mention what is true, you
> don't overstate or beat your competitor, I don't believe we should have
> an issue.
>
> We are only mentioning the facts. In addition, many of us are not
> affiliated with Citrix, though we are affiliated with the project this is
> still community lead effort.

Not sure what a Citrix affiliation would have to do with Apache
CloudStack. ;-)

Being community led doesn't make a difference, IMHO, from the vantage of
a Wikipedia "editor" who is looking at contributions coming in with an
eye for bias/gaming the page.

> I don't believe we should just let Wikipedia page stay outdated and wait
> for someone else to do it - as it may never happen - or happen with
> considerable amount of delay (I.e. we are on version 4.1 and article
> mentions 3.x). Lots of things have changed since then and the person who
> updates the wiki may not have enough expertise to write about something
> he does not know about.

Totally agree with this. If the wikipedia article says "current release
is 3.x" then I think we're empowered to change that.

For instance, looking at the page I noticed the stable release info was
outdated - so I edited that. Purely factual, I can't imagine anyone can
complain about that edit.

On the other hand, coordinating on the list to discuss how to *promote*
ACS via Wikipedia may well be viewed unfavorably.

> If we stay ethically correct, state only facts, don't down play on
> competitors and this comes from the community, my humble opinion, we
> should be ok.
>
> Thoughts?

See above - but "comes from the community" won't necessarily be viewed
as a "defense" if it looks like we're editing the page impartially.

I think we should take an active interest in making sure the page is
accurate and current, and any community member can do that. I start to

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

RE: Elevator Pitch / Top N Features

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Noah,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
NS

Re: Elevator Pitch / Top N Features

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
So my comments in-line.

Matt

On 3/5/13 5:53 PM, "Prodosh Banerjee" <p....@anolim.com> wrote:

>Here are my two cents - the main benefits and differentiators for
>Cloudstack compared to the competition:
>
>1. Proven technology: production ready
There are several folks not agreeing with this right now in the user
community. I personally agree with this but you don't want to community
disagreeing with your top markers.

>2. Easy to setup and use
Added this to #8 on the Wiki

>3. SDN - Software Defined Networking supported out of the box (this is
>one of the best differentiators)
Put this in as #2.

>4. High Availability for management nodes as well as HA support for VMs
Combining this with #5
>5. Proven scalability: manage huge clouds of thousands of servers today

>6. Support for the most common hypervisors out of the box: Xen, KVM,
>VMware etc.
Already in There

>7. Amazon Web Services compatible APIs
>8. Self service Web UI
>9. Usage metering
7/8/9 - Already in there

Posted by Kelly Hair <ke...@citrix.com>.
+1 SDNs - was working off an older 3.x list ;)

Posted by Prodosh Banerjee <p....@anolim.com>.

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.