Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2001/12/13 16:48:02 UTC

Now 100% Serious Newline conversion suggestion

I posted this earlier with the subject "50% Serious Newline conversion
suggestion".  Well, after reading all the other proposals, and finding
them all lacking in at least one area, I feel compelled to repost this
as a 100% serious suggestion, and I actually DO want feedback on it
now. :-)

In this system:

-  newline styles in the repository change ONLY when it was
   intentional.

-  we do the world a favor by promoting the use of tools that can
   understand (and not munge) files of various newline styles, while
   not punishing those who fail to use such tools.

-  no conversion takes place autometically, thus preserving my
   idealistic viewpoint that a VC system shouldn't be in the business
   of doing anything but versioning data.

----

> What if we just did something a bit simpler:
>
> 1.  Do not provide automatic newline conversion.
>
> 2.  At commit time, compare the newlines used on the edited files with
>     those in text-base, and if the style differs, error "Newline style
>     has changed.  To override, use --force, else please restore the
>     file to its original newline convention."
>
> 3.  Optional: provide an 'svn newline' subcommand which will perform
>     the restoration.

Re: Now 100% Serious Newline conversion suggestion

Posted by dh...@dharana.net.
I think this is the ideal solution. Both sides are satisfied.

+1 (or whatever ;)). Nothing to add.

cmpilato@collab.net(cmpilato@collab.net)@2001.12.13 10:48:02 +0000:
> I posted this earlier with the subject "50% Serious Newline conversion
> suggestion".  Well, after reading all the other proposals, and finding
> them all lacking in at least one area, I feel compelled to repost this
> as a 100% serious suggestion, and I actually DO want feedback on it
> now. :-)
>
> In this system:
>
> -  newline styles in the repository change ONLY when it was
>    intentional.
>
> -  we do the world a favor by promoting the use of tools that can
>    understand (and not munge) files of various newline styles, while
>    not punishing those who fail to use such tools.
>
> -  no conversion takes place autometically, thus preserving my
>    idealistic viewpoint that a VC system shouldn't be in the business
>    of doing anything but versioning data.
>
> ----
>
> > What if we just did something a bit simpler:
> >
> > 1.  Do not provide automatic newline conversion.
> >
> > 2.  At commit time, compare the newlines used on the edited files with
> >     those in text-base, and if the style differs, error "Newline style
> >     has changed.  To override, use --force, else please restore the
> >     file to its original newline convention."
> >
> > 3.  Optional: provide an 'svn newline' subcommand which will perform
> >     the restoration.

dharana <dh...@dharana.net>                    Black holes are where
PGP KeyID: 0xC32A724                             GOD is dividing by zero

Re: Now 100% Serious Newline conversion suggestion

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> I feel compelled to repost this
> as a 100% serious suggestion, and I actually DO want feedback on it
> now. :-)
>
> In this system:
>
> -  newline styles in the repository change ONLY when it was
>    intentional.
>
> -  we do the world a favor by promoting the use of tools that can
>    understand (and not munge) files of various newline styles, while
>    not punishing those who fail to use such tools.
>
> -  no conversion takes place autometically, thus preserving my
>    idealistic viewpoint that a VC system shouldn't be in the business
>    of doing anything but versioning data.

I would be in favour of this.

At the very least I want to be able to create a repository and know
that whatever platform is used to create, updated or commit files, no
"automatic" conversion occurs. When a user changes all the line
endings in a file, I want diff to show that change.  An expert user
will be able to adjust line endings as and when required, if it ever
is required. However if that user has to remember to switch off some
"user friendly" feature every time a file is created, mistakes will be
made.

If we must have line end conversion, then a mechanism to disable it by
default for a whole repository should be provided.

[My last project involved simultaneous C++ development on Solaris and
NT/2000 using ClearCase version control.]

Philip

Re: Now 100% Serious Newline conversion suggestion

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
At 10:48 AM 12/13/2001 -0600, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
>-  newline styles in the repository change ONLY when it was
>    intentional.

Covered.

>-  we do the world a favor by promoting the use of tools that can
>    understand (and not munge) files of various newline styles, while
>    not punishing those who fail to use such tools.

I think I got this one, you'd have to be more specific.

>-  no conversion takes place autometically, thus preserving my
>    idealistic viewpoint that a VC system shouldn't be in the business
>    of doing anything but versioning data.

I think this is exactly what my proposal suggests. From the point of view
of the Subversion server, there is no such thing as line endings (or
keywords for that matter), it is all client side. And a Subversion client
could very well choose not to implement any support for changes to line
endings or keyword tags, and it would still interact well with Subversion
and all other clients. You'd want these in the command line client because
they are such common requirements, but it wouldn't be required for other
clients.

If a client wants to support changing line endings to match the platform,
it needs to maintain the client-specific property line-ending-style on the
server, but the server doesn't need to know anything about the meaning of
the property.