Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "Vries de, Robbert R (NSC)" <Ro...@NS.NL> on 2011/08/30 15:40:17 UTC

DynamicWebResource creation takes long; client timeout is the result

Hi everyone!
I think the title says it all.

The idea is that the resource is created on request, using a
ResourceReference and ResourceLink.
Creating it takes too long (It's a huge Excel sheet) so at some point
the client (or some upstream server) times out the connection.

How can I fix this? Is it possible to have a background thread build the
excel sheet and have the client page poll (using Ajax) for the finished
version?
Or is the only solid solution to render the resource to the filesystem?
And provide a user with a link to the generated file?

What's the Wicket way?

Cheers,
Robbert

Re: DynamicWebResource creation takes long; client timeout is the result

Posted by Rodolfo Hansen <rh...@kitsd.com>.
You might want to take a look at wicketstuff-push also.. :)

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>wrote:

> there isnt really a Wicket way that is preferred as this has nothing
> to do with wicket.
>
> you can do it either way: ajax polling or the file system. or combine
> both, ajax poll to see if the file has been written to the file system
> and then provide a download link.
>
> -igor
>

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Vries de, Robbert R (NSC)
> <Ro...@ns.nl> wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> > I think the title says it all.
> >
> > The idea is that the resource is created on request, using a
> > ResourceReference and ResourceLink.
> > Creating it takes too long (It's a huge Excel sheet) so at some point
> > the client (or some upstream server) times out the connection.
> >
> > How can I fix this? Is it possible to have a background thread build the
> > excel sheet and have the client page poll (using Ajax) for the finished
> > version?
> > Or is the only solid solution to render the resource to the filesystem?
> > And provide a user with a link to the generated file?
> >
> > What's the Wicket way?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Robbert

Rodolfo Hansen
CTO, KindleIT Software Development
Email: rhansen@kitsd.com
Mobile: +1 (809) 860-6669

Re: DynamicWebResource creation takes long; client timeout is the result

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.