Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/01 10:24:09 UTC

Fix dependencies on pivot projects

Hi to all,
in my environment I've just changed the dependency between pivot
projects and all is good (otherwise for example updating core i got
many compilation errors in eclipse).
This is the sequence:
- core, no dependency
- wtk depends on core
- web depends on core, wtk => maybe only wtk could be enough ...
- tools depends on web (and its dependency)
- tutorials depends on tools (and its dependency)
- demos depends on tutorials (and its dependency)

ok, some dependencies aren't really required, but could help in many
cases, the compiler, and us as a logic sequence.

And a last thing, for me it's very boring: anytime i synchronize the
full wtk subproject, the reference to the java plugin jar is lost.
I've added a dependency in wtk to an (eclipse) var env JAVA_PLUGIN, so
anyone having build errors could simply define this var (not lost when
synchronize a project) that point to its jar.
And the same could be useful in the demos, for JAVA_WEB_START var env.

What do you think ?

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Fix dependencies on pivot projects

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
>> Tools, Tutorials, and Demos depend on Core, Web, and WTK. They are
>> independent projects and do not have dependencies on each other.

>I know, but in this way eclipse has a better ordering to compile them
>... and also for who look at the code from inside eclipse could have a
>clear idea of relationship between projects.

That's just the point. There *is* no relationship between these projects. For example, I should be able to remove the Tools project without breaking Demos and Tutorials.

Re: Fix dependencies on pivot projects

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> Web does depend on Core, but not on WTK.
> Tools, Tutorials, and Demos depend on Core, Web, and WTK. They are
> independent projects and do not have dependencies on each other.
I know, but in this way eclipse has a better ordering to compile them
... and also for who look at the code from inside eclipse could have a
clear idea of relationship between projects.

But it's a little thing, no problem.

> You should be able set this up in your Workspace preferences, under Java >
> Installed JREs > JVM 1.6.0, click "Add External JARs" and add plugin.jar.
> You can also add javaws.jar this way.
Yes, I know, thanks, but I think my way is a little better:
any single project that needs some additional resource has an explicit
dependency on it.
And in this way the JRE as seen in eclipse is not changed.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.