Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2005/10/28 20:16:51 UTC

[m2] DIR structure and archetype questions...

I need help to get my existing directory structure into an m2 statndard
structure.
I also want to know if the m2 structure I create can be made into an
archetype so that all groups in our organization can use the same structure
easily?

Here is my m1 structure (layout #1):

* fastforward Application

     +->commonJar-subproject
     |    +-> src
     |    |   +-> java
     |    |   +-> test
     |    |       +-> java
     |    +-> xdocs

     +->ff-web-subproject
          +-> src
          |   +-> conf
          |   |   +-> web
          |   |       +-> properties
          |   |       +-> tld
          |   |       +-> xmi
          |   |       +-> xml
          |   +-> java
          |   +-> test
          |   |   +-> java
          |   +-> web
          |       +-> layouts (under WEB-INF)
          |       +-> resources (NOT under WEB-INF. images etc...)
          +-> xdocs

I am guessing at the new web structure as this but not sure (Layout #2):

* fastforward Application

     +->ff-web-subproject
     |    +-> servlet
     |    |   +-> src
     |    |       +-> main
     |    |       |   +-> java
     |    |       |   +-> webapp
     |    |       |       +-> WEB-INF
     |    |       |           +-> (*.jsp, *.xml, *.properties, *.xmi, *.tld)
     |    |       |       +-> (*.jsp, *.htm*, *.gif, *.jpg, *.css, *.js)
     |    |       +-> test
     |    |           +-> java
     |    +-> site
     |        +-> src
     |            +-> site
     |                +-> apt (name?)

     +->commonJar-subproject
     |    +-> src
     |        +-> main
     |            +-> java
     |            +-> test
     |                +-> java
     +-> site
          +-> src
              +-> site
                  +-> apt (name?)

I guess my confusion here comes with the directories in the maven archetype
called ear, ejbs, projects and there only being 1 site DIR now.

So let me try to outline my questions:
--------------------------------------
1. Why is the archetype-resources DIR structure under src/main/resources?

2. Is there now only 1 site dir for the entire project?

3. did I rearrange my subprojectscorrectly as depicted in layout #2?

4. Why is there a src/main/java in the ear subproject of this archetype?

5. What is the difference between the primary-source and the projects DIR's?

6. Why did you call the DIR with the web files servlets? Why not something
like ff-web-subproject or ff-webapp-subproject? Is there a reason NOT to
name it like I had already done in my m1?

Then from the Vincent Massol PPT, I am not sure what to do with the
following DIR's:

     +-> distibution
     +-> extensions
     |    +-> maven
     |    +-> ant
     +-> samples

Thank You
Mick Knutson

Sr. Java/J2EE Consultant
BASE logic, inc.
(415) 648-1804 (S.F., CA)
http://www.BASELogic.com

HP Consulting Services (Walnut Creek, CA)