Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Aditya <ad...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/29 12:39:48 UTC

Migrating Solr from one server to another

Hi,

I have a Solr instance running on AWS with close to 1000K documents. We've
decided to stop using AWS and migrate to local clusters and hence I need to
migrate the data from AWS to local.

Can anyone help me out on how to go about the process? I came across
methods that first migrate all the data in the collection to a single file
but I'm not sure if that is such a good idea.

It would be really great if some of you could point me to blogs/articles to
help export solr data from AWS to local.

Best Regards,
Aditya

Re: Migrating Solr from one server to another

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Assuming you have some down time (that is, time when you're not
actively indexing), "it's just files". So:
> create a parallel local cluster. By "parallel" I mean the same number of shards. I'd create it with only one replica/shard to start (i.e. every shard will have only a leader).
> shut down all Solr nodes on your local cluster.
> copy the data directory from one replica from each shard shard in your AWS instance to the corresponding replica in your local cluster. WARNING: you have to copy to corresponding shards. To be absolutely sure you have the right ones, look at your admin UI>>cloud>>tree>>collection>>(your collection)>>state.json. Each shard has a "range" property, some hex range. The source and destination replicas _must_ have the _exact_ same range.
> Bring up your local cluster and verify that it't ok
> build out your local cluster with ADDREPLICA commands.

Best,
Erick