Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Manan Shah <ma...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/28 22:35:59 UTC

[PROPOSAL][CLOUDSTACK-1456] SG Isolation in Advanced Zone for VMWare Hypervisor using PVLANs

Hi,

I would like to propose a new feature for adding SG Isolation support for
VMWare Hypervisor using PVLANs. I have created a JIRA ticket and provided
the requirements at the following location. Please provide feedback on the
requirements.

JIRA Ticket:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/SG+Isolation+in+Adva
nced+Zone+for+VMWare+Hypervisor+using+PVLANs
Requirements:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/SG+Isolation+in+Adva
nced+Zone+for+VMWare+Hypervisor+using+PVLANs

Regards,
Manan Shah

[PROPOSAL][CLOUDSTACK-1456] SG Isolation in Advanced Zone for VMWare Hypervisor using PVLANs

Re: [PROPOSAL][CLOUDSTACK-1456] SG Isolation in Advanced Zone for VMWare Hypervisor using PVLANs

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 03:52:26PM -0700, Manan Shah wrote:
> I have updated the JIRA ticket as well as the requirements document.
>
> Update the requirements to mention:
>
> 1. Made the feature requirements broader by covering all Hypervisors and
> not just VMWare
> 2. Mentioned that the original requirements are for SG type feature with
> more use cases but the primary use case can be achieved using PVLANs

LGTM Manan.  Thanks!

Re: [PROPOSAL][CLOUDSTACK-1456] SG Isolation in Advanced Zone for VMWare Hypervisor using PVLANs

Posted by Manan Shah <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mar 12, 2013, at 11:56 PM, Manan Shah <ma...@citrix.com> wrote:

> Yes, Chiradeep, you are correct. The PVLAN would only be able to provide
> isolation at L2. The primary use case from the providers perspective is to
> run multiple shared networks (services network for monitoring, patching,
> etc). And on each of these services network, the VMs should only be
> allowed to talk to the admin servers. This can be achieved using PVLANs to
> prevent multiple Tenant VMs to talk to each other.

This is a really important use case, primarily for the providers themselves.

> I will update the PRD to reflect this.
>
> Regards,
> Manan Shah
>

> On 3/11/13 10:49 PM, "Chiradeep Vittal" <Ch...@citrix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As far as I can tell most of the requirements can NOT be satisfied by
>> PVLAN.
>> The only thing PVLAN can do is:
>> 1. Restrict a VM's traffic to the upstream router
>> 2. Restrict a VM's traffic to a set of Vms on the same physical VLAN.
>>
>> PVLAN does not offer any L4 access control, nor can it work across L3
>> domains.
>> Of the 4 use cases, the first one can be supported in a limited fashion
>> (no security groups, but restricting Vms from communicating using L2
>> isolation).
>>
>> On 2/28/13 1:35 PM, "Manan Shah" <ma...@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose a new feature for adding SG Isolation support for
>>> VMWare Hypervisor using PVLANs. I have created a JIRA ticket and provided
>>> the requirements at the following location. Please provide feedback on
>>> the
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> JIRA Ticket:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/SG+Isolation+in+Ad
>>> v
>>> a
>>> nced+Zone+for+VMWare+Hypervisor+using+PVLANs
>>> Requirements:

Posted by Manan Shah <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.