Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2013/08/06 06:38:14 UTC

[DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

Hi!

what I've noticed lately is that in quite a few
Hadoop ecosystem projects there have been
active work on 'singularity' releases. Two most
obvious example of this trend would be: Hadoop
2.1.x-beta and HBase 0.96, but there's also
Hue 3.0, Oozie 4.0 and a few other things cooking.

Perhaps it would make sense for us to stay ahead
of the game and offer an early opportunity for a
better integration to as many of these as we have
cycles/interest to tackle.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and feedback on how
useful/feasible this might be.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. Two clear example of Bigtop JIRAs which are
prime candidate for a 'singularity' branch/release
of Bigtop are, of course:
In fact, chances are both of them could end up
in something like Bigtop 0.8.0

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> My main concern - as always - is a stability of the underlying components.
> And while the Bigtop's motto so far was 'the bleeding edge', that exactly what
> troubles me.
>
> I'd rather be a bit behind, but provide a stack with components that went
> through a certain degree of field testing. But it might be just me ;)

Well, that's the challenge, I suppose -- hence this thread ;-)

To some extent that's the exact same challenge that every
distribution faces and they all developed slightly different policies
as to how they approach stability vs. latest and greatest issue.
A canonical example here (pun intended) would be Ubuntu with
its LTS/regular releases.

I don't think Bigtop has had a chance to develop such a policy,
but perhaps now is time.

Finally, let me give you an example of one practical issue that
exists right now: as it happens, I'm very interested in integrating
at least Hadoop 2.1.x with HBase 0.96+. Also interested, but to
a somewhat lesser extent of throwing Hue 3.x and Oozie 4.x
into the same integration mix. From where I stand the options
I've got are essentially -- just doing it the branch without planning
any potential release vehicle or suggest those things for the BOM
of something like Bigtop 0.8.

Both options are fine, but I'd rather have others chime in
on which one they consider the most useful approach to the
problem at hand.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> On the technical side, I'd seriously would urge people to review the branching
> model from my earlier reference (nvie.com/git-model) as it would fit our
> situation beautifully and will ease the pain of bringing feature cross
> multiple branches.

A strong +1 on the model described in the blog post -- a really solid
approach to engineering practices!

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

my remark about the deja-vu wasn't intent to hurt, just you know.... a remark ;)

I think we are converging here and I can buy into your proposal about three
lines of the development if needed. So, process wise, I don't see any
problems here.

On the technical side, I'd seriously would urge people to review the branching
model from my earlier reference (nvie.com/git-model) as it would fit our
situation beautifully and will ease the pain of bringing feature cross
multiple branches.

Cos

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSS] Bigtop "singularity" branch/release

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.