Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org> on 2018/11/14 03:48:27 UTC

Meetup in Hangzhou

Hi community,

It has been months since last meetup in Chengdu. During these months,
the community has been growing very fast, with new releases, new
features are coming.
I think we should continue to hold the meetup, this time how about in
Hangzhou this December?

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Meetup in Hangzhou

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > For some private information, at least they should contact the
> > @private list.
>
> Why does any of this need to be private? Open transparent discussion that involves all of the community is the goal here.
>
> If it’s the speaker selection that the issue then that could be done by the PMC on the private list.

Yes, I mean the topic selection.

> > They are separated because some of the organizers are not in the Dubbo
> > PPMC.
>
> All the more reason to discuss this on the dev list.

I agree, all the discussion should be happening on the mailing list.

> > But some of the PPMC are involved.
>
> Which means the whole PMC was not and that’s an issue.

Yes, it is an issue. If the discussion in happening on the list, this
won't be an issue.
The problem is that whether the PMC is running such an event or a
third party is running such an event.
If it is the 3rd party who is running the event, according to [1], the
PMC should choose representative(s) to event selection committee.

What I am seeing the this meetup is being held more like a 3rd party
event, but choosing representative by PMC is not happening on the
list.

In the future, rather that 3rd party, I think the PMC should be
running the meetup.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/events.html#selection

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Meetup in Hangzhou

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Meetup in Hangzhou

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Actually I strongly suggest we should do it in a more open way next
> > time, e.g. announce the meetup, and call for talks from the mailing list.
> >

> I strongly suggest you also do this.
>
> Why is the "meetup management committee" not discussing this on list?

Some of them are organizers from the sponsor, and people who are
organizing the meetup are quite different for each meetup.
They don't get use to organize such an event using mailing list.
I think this is a problem, I am trying to encourage them to be on the
list. For some private information, at least they should contact the
@private list.

> why are they separate from the PPMC?

They are separated because some of the organizers are not in the Dubbo
PPMC. But some of the PPMC are involved.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Meetup in Hangzhou

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Actually I strongly suggest we should do it in a more open way next
> time, e.g. announce the meetup, and call for talks from the mailing list.

I strongly suggest you also do this.

Why is the "meetup management committee" not discussing this on list? and

Re: Meetup in Hangzhou

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 10:51 AM jun liu <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Huxing,
>
> Will we consider some topics from typical Dubbo users this time?

There is one topic from Netease Koala introducing their practice of
using Dubbo in their production system.
There is no call for talks this time is because most of the talks has
been pre-selected by the meetup management committee.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: Meetup in Hangzhou