Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by bu...@now-india.net.in on 2002/12/09 16:03:30 UTC

[users@httpd] media

hi all
can apache be used as a streaming media server ?
Can I broadcast songs from my hard disk over the network ?
....gaurav

Re: [users@httpd] media

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
I use Apache::MP3. It's a mod_perl module available on CPAN.
It works fine for my personal use but because each stream
requires it's own child process it's not suitable for general
broadcasting.

--Jeff

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 bulbultyagi@now-india.net.in wrote:

> hi all
> can apache be used as a streaming media server ?
> Can I broadcast songs from my hard disk over the network ?
> ....gaurav

Jeff Beard | Systems Architecture, Programming and Management
Contact    | jeff at cyberxape dot com, 303.443.9339
Location   | 3360 34th Street, Unit C, Boulder, CO 80301

Posted by Stephen Colson <sc...@westpole.com>.
read the bottom of every email that you get from this list...

-s

Posted by "GADAM, HEMA" <HE...@SDSTATE.EDU>.
Can some tell me please how to unsubscribe form this mailing list....

Re: [users@httpd] media

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
bulbultyagi@now-india.net.in wrote:

> hi all
> can apache be used as a streaming media server ?

Apache won't itself per se, but it's no trouble to have an Apache based web
site point to a streaming feed running on the same (or a separate) computer.
I'm doing that at home where I have an Apache server on one computer and
Windows Media Encoder on a separate computer streaming audio from a radio
scanner of several local fire department radio channels.  If you wish to see
this, you can see it at http://www.k6ccc.org

> Can I broadcast songs from my hard disk over the network ?

Broadcasting is not really the right way to describe it, but a music file is
just another file.  Apache will respond with a music file if that's what a
link points to.  Although this link below is on my Earthlink (not Apache)
website, you can see how this works at
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/SatRec.html
The concept works just as well on an Apache site.
BTW, I will point out that copyright laws apply to almost any song, so if you
do not own the rights to the that song, it would be illegal to make it
publically available.

73
-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395
To send me PGP encrypted E-Mail, use:
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/PublicKey.html

Re: [users@httpd] media

Posted by John Darin Holloway <jd...@blue.net>.
This is probably OT but I'll bite.  Your best bet is to use the
Winamp/ShoutCast server (http://www.shoutcast.com), just be mindful of the
RIAA and their vast army of lawyers shutting down your connection and suing
you into the poorhouse.  As for apache modules, http://media.tangent.org/
mod_mp3 is the first hit off of google.

John Darin Holloway
Web Developer and System Administrator, Bluegrass Network, LLC
jdholloway@blue.net  ---  http://www.blue.net