Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Shadel <ti...@pobox.com> on 2004/07/15 01:16:45 UTC

Error bumping revisions post-commit

We've been using Suversion as our main code repository for a couple
months, and a few of us have run across the following situation.

We're using Windows 2000 (with UnxUtils for 'ls' and such), and usually
use TortoiseSVN 1.0.6, though the command-line is used below to show our
problem.  It's svn, version 1.0.4 (r9844).

Say you have the following in your repository.

/trunk/test/myfile.txt

Open myfile.txt in an editor, or otherwise lock the file at the OS level.

[Forget you have the file open]

# cd trunk
# svn mv test newfolder
A         newfolder
D         test\myfile.txt
D         test

# svn ci -m "Try to move project with file locked."
Deleting       trunk\test
Adding        trunk\newfolder
svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):

[Figure out that it was your open file, since no details followed.
Close the file]

# ls
test   newfolder

# svn ls http://svn.example.com/svn/trunk/
newfolder/

# rm -fr test
# svn up newfolder

At this point there are different errors we've come across.  'svn
cleanup' in any number of directories doesn't seem to work.  Deleting
the 'newfolder' and running 'svn up' seems to have worked in the past,
but not always.

What's the process for diagnosing what's gone wrong with a local working
copy if the central repository seems fine?  How can I get the client to
fix the working copy?  What do I need to setup so that I actually get
details after the "(details follow)", or is that a bug?  We've only
recently pieced enough together to realize it's often been an open file
that's caused a problem.  Invariably the 'svn move' command gives us the
most trouble with breaking our working directories.  What advice do you
have for "safe moving", since we've seen some weird things happen with
it?  Any advice on diagnosing and recovering from this type of error
would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!

Tim

Re: Error bumping revisions post-commit

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 20:16, Tim Shadel wrote:

> # svn ci -m "Try to move project with file locked."
> Deleting       trunk\test
> Adding        trunk\newfolder
> svn: Commit succeeded, but other errors follow:
> svn: Error bumping revisions post-commit (details follow):
>
> [Figure out that it was your open file, since no details followed.
> Close the file]

You're committing an addition and deletion;  after the commit is
successful, the working copy library tries to truly remove the 'test'
directory from the working copy, as you would expect.

On unix, this is never a problem -- the directory is always unlinked.
On win32, the deletion fails if another process has a file-handle open.
Obviously, you've discovered that.

After closing the file in your editor, your working copy *should* be in
an inconsistent state, requiring cleanup.  'svn status' should show that
certain working copy dirs are locked, and 'svn cleanup' should execute
the unfinished journals and complete the unfinished work.

Have you tried that approach?  Removing the 'test' dir by hand is
interfering with the working-copy's ability to finish it's own work.