Posted to user@struts.apache.org by st...@mailinator.com on 2007/04/26 01:06:49 UTC

struts 1.x website needs fixing badly

Hi,

whoever is in charge of http://struts.apache.org/1.x/ - please fix the
site. It's broken. A lot. I'm really amazed that nobody seems to have
noticed this, or maybe I'm the only one who cares?
Examples:
http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-taglib/tagreference.html - contains
so much escaped HTML that it's mostly unreadable
http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-taglib/faq.html - the answer to
question 9 (
http://struts.apache.org/1.x/struts-taglib/faq.html#javascript.submit )
is broken-escaped. Question 13 likewise -
it's supposed to read "Why does the <html:link> tag URL-encode
javascript and mailto links?", but it doesn't, because the page source is:
Why does the <html:link> tag URL-encode javascript and mailto
links?</html:link>

And so on. If you can't fix it, maybe it would be better to remove the
pages altogether.

-A.

Re: struts 1.x website needs fixing badly

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the input. This is a community based website. If you would
like to volunteer some changes, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Paul

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Looking at the source for the FAQ

                <source>
                    &lt;a

href='javascript:void(document.forms["myForm"].submit()&gt;My
                    Link&lt;/a&gt;
                </source>
                    Now the trick in the action is to decode what action you
                    intend to perform.
                    Since you are using JavaScript, you could set a field
                    value and look for it in
                    the request or in the form.

it seems that the closing <source> tag is being ignored. It's probably
an issue with the Maven plugin. We had similar problems before.

I believe the tag reference is still being generated from the TLD, so
that would be another systemic problem with the build system. It was
probably

The best thing would be to file an issue with our JIRA until someone
has a chance to review the problem more closely. There might be a
workaround. Ultimately, we might need to file another ticket with the
Maven group.

Looking back at the docs for prior releases, we changed how the taglib
reference is being generated between 1.3.5 and 1.3.8, but the
source-tag FAQ issue goes back farther than that.

-Ted.

--
HTH, Ted <http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>