Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2018/12/27 12:36:45 UTC

[Studio] JNDI removal

Hi all,

for some weeks I work on a branch to remove JNDI from Studio.

One part was removal of the JNDI network provider and the provider
choice in the connection settings, that was easy.

The other part was removal of the JNDI abstraction layer, and direct
usage of our LDAP API instead.

To illustrate, before the conversion was
* With JNDI provider: Studio model <--> JNDI
* With LDAP API provider: Studio model <--> JNDI <--> LDAP API

Especially in the 2nd case doing 2 conversions was error prone [1][2][3]
and complex.

Now the conversion is just
* Studio model <--> LDAP API

Beside the JNDI removal also other changes are included:
* Many more tests were added
* Certificate validation improvements [4]
* Update to LDAP API and server master (required by previous)
* Update to commons lang3 and collections 4 (required by previous change)

Tests pass with both Java 8 and 11. Given the additional tests I'm quite
confident that everything works well. However it's a huge change [5],
and the previous workaround switching to JNDI won't exist any more. I'd
like to merge it into master, latest when LDAP API and server versions
are released.

If anyone wants to review [5] or test the branch with real LDAP servers
would be much appreciated :)

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1160
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1199
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1204
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1205
[5] https://github.com/apache/directory-studio/pull/21

Re: [Studio] JNDI removal

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 11/06/2019 21:43, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Almost half a year later (how time flies), I think it's time to merge
> the branch back to master.
>
> Since last mail the JNDI removal was completed, we updated to latest
> LDAP API and server master versions, updated to latest Eclipse release.
>
> Once merged (and released) there will be no fallback to use the JNDI
> provider anymore.
>
> Any objections?

No objection.

We just have to be sure we can fix quickly any problem in the LDAP API,
if needed, but assuming we have been able to cut 3 release of the 2.0
version in teh last 9 months - plus 2 1.0 releases -, we should be good
to go.

Thanks Stefan !

Re: [Studio] JNDI removal

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Re: [Studio] JNDI removal

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

On 27/12/2018 13:36, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> for some weeks I work on a branch to remove JNDI from Studio.

Thanks for that !

> One part was removal of the JNDI network provider and the provider
> choice in the connection settings, that was easy.
>
> The other part was removal of the JNDI abstraction layer, and direct
> usage of our LDAP API instead.
>
> To illustrate, before the conversion was
> * With JNDI provider: Studio model <--> JNDI
> * With LDAP API provider: Studio model <--> JNDI <--> LDAP API
>
> Especially in the 2nd case doing 2 conversions was error prone [1][2][3]
> and complex.

You bet. And useless.