Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2013/06/24 15:20:47 UTC

Your Gump Build(s)

Dear Community

Apache Gump builds some of your projects and it is quite possible you
don't know or have by now forgotten about it.

More than half a year ago a technical problem has forced us to turn off
emails on build failures as we would have been sending out lots of false
alarms.

Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

Metadata for many projects have been neglected for a long time and it is
quite possible they'd need some love for results to be meaningful.  All
Apache committers have write access to Gump's metadata.

In case you don't know what this Gump stuff is about:

Apache Gump builds the full stack of the latest commits of software in
order to ensure integrity over releases.  Build failures surface API
discontinuities between projects before they impact releases, and Gump's
e-mail notifications hope to promote the conversations between teams to
resolve those discontinuities.

When responding to this mail please shorten the CC list as appropriate.

Cheers

        Stefan

 on behalf of the Gump PMC

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-06-24, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
>> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

> We are.

Noted, thanks.

> Is there any easy way to check if gump is currently happy with our
> build before we turn emails back on?

For some strange reason we don't seem to have a direct navigation from
module to project - at least I don't find it.  Use
<http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/poi/poi-ooxml-deps/index.html> and
similar links by replacing "poi-ooxml-deps" with your project name from
the poi Gump descriptor.

Right now thinks look pretty good, I think
<http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/poi/poi-ooxml-deps/details.html>
has all POI Gump builds as dependees.

Of your downstream dependencies Tika's parser project currently fails
but I don't think it is related to POI.

Stefan

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Apache Gump builds some of your projects and it is quite possible you
> don't know or have by now forgotten about it.

I think we had noticed it being quieter than normal!

> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

We are. Is there any easy way to check if gump is currently happy with our
build before we turn emails back on?

Nick

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-06-25, Michael Glavassevich wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote on 06/25/2013 03:59:56 AM:

>> No email doesn't mean no downstream has been broken.

> True, but if that occurred I'd expect the broken project (who would have
> been notified by Gump) would at some point open a discussion with us about
> the problem we caused

Yes, that's the idea :-)

> and I don't recall the last time that happened either, if it ever
> did. That's more of a statement about the stability of Xerces and
> Xalan than anything else. The rate of change is nowhere near like it
> was 10 years ago.

Coming out of Ant land myself I know pretty well what you are talking
about.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote on 06/25/2013 03:59:56 AM:

> On 2013-06-24, Michael Glavassevich wrote:
>
> > Projects like Xerces and Xalan are near the bottom of the food chain.
I've
> > always thought the projects higher up in the stack got more value from
> > Gump.
>
> Unless Xalan or Xerces breaks something :-) In this case you get the
> early warning by other project's builds failing.  That's why monitoring
> your dependee's builds is a crucial part of getting anything useful out
> of Gump.

I don't think we ever did that.

> Shall I translate this to "we're not too eager on keeping our Gump
> builds"?

I'd translate that to "we don't get much out of it but others might".

> > I don't remember the last time we got a notification for a legitimate
> > build failure at our level. It was a rather rare occurrence, even
> > while e-mail notifications were still being sent out.
>
> Well, yes, see above.  No email doesn't mean no downstream has been
> broken.

True, but if that occurred I'd expect the broken project (who would have
been notified by Gump) would at some point open a discussion with us about
the problem we caused and I don't recall the last time that happened
either, if it ever did. That's more of a statement about the stability of
Xerces and Xalan than anything else. The rate of change is nowhere near
like it was 10 years ago.

> Thanks
>
>         Stefan

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Projects like Xerces and Xalan are near the bottom of the food chain. I've
always thought the projects higher up in the stack got more value from
Gump. I don't remember the last time we got a notification for a
legitimate build failure at our level. It was a rather rare occurrence,
even while e-mail notifications were still being sent out.

Thanks.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-06-24, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 24/06/2013 14:20, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
>> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

> Yes please!

Noted, thanks.

> As an aside, there were (and probably still are) a number of projects
> with dependencies on very old (and no longer supported) Tomcat versions.
> It would be good to get those cleaned up. Finding the time to do that
> has been on my TODO list for a while.

It is pretty likely we'll end up with a smaller set of projects after
this poll.  Tomcat 4 is used by Ant - and only by Ant AFAICT - for the
deprecated jcpc task.  I don't see any project using Tomcat 5.x or 6.x
on first glance.

Stefan

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/06/2013 14:20, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Dear Community
>
> Apache Gump builds some of your projects and it is quite possible you
> don't know or have by now forgotten about it.
>
> More than half a year ago a technical problem has forced us to turn off
> emails on build failures as we would have been sending out lots of false
> alarms.
>
> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

Yes please!

As an aside, there were (and probably still are) a number of projects
with dependencies on very old (and no longer supported) Tomcat versions.
It would be good to get those cleaned up. Finding the time to do that
has been on my TODO list for a while.

Mark

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 06/25/13 19:43, P. Ottlinger wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> Am 24.06.2013 15:20, schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
>> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
>> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)
>
> +1
>
> Why not - since I don't know any details about the infrastructure I'd
> propose to just enable the gump builds with notifications to the dev-list.

+1

> Is there a Jenkins-CI infrastructure available?

Yes

And build-bot

(IIRC gump was originally developed to give early warning about future
incompatibilities, specializing in build everything against the latest
of all its Apache dependencies.)

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll poke around and try to find out the
current state of play...

Robert

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by "P. Ottlinger" <po...@aiki-it.de>.
Hi *,

Am 24.06.2013 15:20, schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

+1

Why not - since I don't know any details about the infrastructure I'd
propose to just enable the gump builds with notifications to the dev-list.

Is there a Jenkins-CI infrastructure available?

Phil

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > >Reminder to the Cocoon project:
> > >
> > >We have a number of Gump builds:
> > >See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/
> > >for the "cocoon" entries.
> > >
> > >For example, the output from the vmgump machine is here:
> > >http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/cocoon3/
> > >and
> > >http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/cocoon/ for c2.2
> > >(IIRC then cocoon-2.1 is "packaged" rather than built.)
> > >
> > >The metadata for each Cocoon "project" probably
> > >needs some care and attention from us.
> >
> > Hi David,
> > I am not familiar with Gump at all, but at least for Cocoon 3 [1] and
> > Cocoon 2.1 [2] we have Jenkins jobs defined.
>
> Gump is very different. See Stefan's message below.
>
> I reckon that both are useful in different ways.

This is the description from their home page:
"Gump is unique in that it builds and compiles software against the latest development versions of those projects. This allows gump to detect potentially incompatible changes to that software just a few hours after those changes are checked into the version control system."

and from their Board reports:
"Apache Gump is a cross-project continuous integration server. Gump's intention isn't so much to be a CI server but rather a vehicle that makes people look beyond their project's boundaries and helps the projects to collaborate."

-David

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Reminder to the Cocoon project:
>
> We have a number of Gump builds:
> See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/gump/metadata/project/
> for the "cocoon" entries.
>
> For example, the output from the vmgump machine is here:
> http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/cocoon3/

At the moment Cocoon3 is failing with a complaint
that seems to be related to FOP.
See http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/cocoon3/
and follow the link to "cocoon-optional" (which the other
cocoon parts depend upon). Then follow the link to
the "build_cocoon3_cocoon-optional" output which has the detail.

-David

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

AW: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
>On 2013-06-24, Dominik Psenner wrote:
>
>> Talking for log4net, yes. We use Gump.
>
>and does it help log4net? (feeling kind of strange about juggling hats
>right now :-)

No it doesn't. It builds only 10% of our build targets and we should migrate
to jenkins ASAP.

>> Bringing up the discussion again. Is it possible to publish nightly
builds
>> using gump? It has been requested several times and it would be a lot
easier
>> than setting up/migrate to a second build system.
>
>I'm not sure whether there is NAnt installed on any Jenkins slave, but
>at least you'd get Windows nodes with "real" .NET platforms.  A start
>might by to run MSBuild on one of the solution files.

We should probably move towards building on jenkins. There is a jenkins
plugin for nant and the admins probably won't mind installing us the
frameworks we need if they're not installed already. Once jenkins builds for
us we might want to investigate in publishing nightlies.

AW: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-06-24, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> Talking for log4net, yes. We use Gump.

and does it help log4net? (feeling kind of strange about juggling hats
right now :-)

IMHO log4net uses Gump as nightly build system and not because of its
"Gumpness".  log4net doesn't have any dependencies apart from the CLR
and we Gump folks have never figured out how to make "replace a
dependency with the one we've just built" properly anyway.

> Bringing up the discussion again. Is it possible to publish nightly builds
> using gump? It has been requested several times and it would be a lot easier
> than setting up/migrate to a second build system.

I'm not sure whether there is NAnt installed on any Jenkins slave, but
at least you'd get Windows nodes with "real" .NET platforms.  A start
might by to run MSBuild on one of the solution files.

Philosphically Gump isn't suitable as a nightly build system as you
don't know what you are building against in general - somebody attacking
the VCS of project X could easily undermine nightly builds of all
projects dependending on X.

Stefan

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 June 2013 14:58, Dominik Psenner <dp...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey Stefan,
>
> Talking for log4net, yes. We use Gump.
>
> See: http://vmgump.apache.org/gump/public/logging-log4net/logging-log4net/
>
> Bringing up the discussion again. Is it possible to publish nightly builds
> using gump? It has been requested several times and it would be a lot easier
> than setting up/migrate to a second build system.

Sorry, but I don't think that's a good idea.

Snapshot builds should be done using the same dependencies as the
release build would use.

Also publishing builds will increase the Gump run time, which is
already very long.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

AW: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@apache.org>.
Hey Stefan,

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com>.
They have been running:
http://ci.apache.org/projects/xmlgraphics/fop/snapshots/.
I rarely use them but there are people that do. Someone mentioned using a
nightly build in a recent post in the mailing list.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Glenn,

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
On 01/07/13 12:42, Glenn Adams wrote:
> We should restore the gump builds if they aren't running first. Then we can
> deal with the question of whether to change the nightly build process.

Well I’d say, if we want to switch to Jenkins, let’s not bother those
people with re-establishing email notification for us.

Now, maybe we’ll decide that Gump is just fine.

Vincent

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-07-04, Vincent Hennebert wrote:

> At XML Graphics we still use Gump for CI, so please re-enable email
> notification for the following projects: xmlgraphics-commons,
> xml-batik, xml-fop.

Noted, thanks.

Right now we'll need to make some adjustments and weight our options
before going forward.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

At XML Graphics we still use Gump for CI, so please re-enable email
notification for the following projects: xmlgraphics-commons, xml-batik,
xml-fop.

Thanks,

AW: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@apache.org>.
Hey Stefan,

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2013-07-23, David Crossley wrote:

> Yes, if possible then Apache Forrest would like to continue.

TBH, I had expected that :-)

Noted.

> So Forrest could re-jig ours to use the up-to-the-minute
> version of whatever Gump does provide, and then use our
> local copies for the rest.

I think that should work.  We'll very likely not build Cocoon anymore,
but at least the XML stack, Ant, FOP and Batik will be available.

Stefan

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Dear Community
>
> Apache Gump builds some of your projects and it is quite possible you
> don't know or have by now forgotten about it.
>
> More than half a year ago a technical problem has forced us to turn off
> emails on build failures as we would have been sending out lots of false
> alarms.
>
> Before we re-enable emails we'd like to know whether you are still
> interested in the service Gump provides, so please tell us. :-)

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, if possible then Apache Forrest would like to continue.

Forrest is a consumer of many other projects.
Our gump metadata have been configured to utilise our local
copy of some of those. For others we use the gump-built one.

Gump has a special copy of Cocoon-2.1 but we could change to
use the abovementioned approach.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Reminder to Forrest:
> Our Gump stuff is described here:
> http://forrest.apache.org/gump.html

I do reckon that Gump is useful.
If i do not hear otherwise soon from Forrest devs
then i will ask Gump to continue.

-David

Re: Your Gump Build(s)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.