Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at> on 2003/06/05 00:35:07 UTC

Re: AW: AW: Batik and SVG for displaying multiple graphical Objects.. .

OK Sorry for causing this confusion. I'll try again but to do so I'll
better describe my whole application (real stand alone application not a
web application):

Imagine  I have a stream of Objects (not grapical Objects) let's call
them "Events". These Events are to be represented as graphical Objects,
let's call these graphical Objects "Representation".
So every "Event" get's assigned exactly one "Representation". I want to
specify these "Representations" as SVG. Lets say all Events "A" should
be displayed as a Representation "blue filled rectangle" ("BFR"), and
all Events "B" as "red filled circles" ("RFC")

So what happens: I have a screen - call it "Monitor". The Monitor should
display all different "Representations".
So assume I have a Event stream consisting of the Events:
A A B A B
We know As should be represented as BFRs and Bs should be displayed as
RFCs somewhere on the Monitor for some time and then disapear again.
So let's read "A", generate a SVG "BFR" and display this graphic
somewhere on the "Monitor", then read the next "A" generate a SVG "BFR"
and display it somewhere else on the Monitor, read Event "B" generate
SVG "RFC", and display it, meanwhile the Event "A" has "timed out" and
we want to remove the Representation for it from the Monitor again...and
so on.
While Events happen, representations are generated and displayed and
removed again...there is a timeline that advances and the content of the
Monitor (= different Representations = single SVG) changes when time
advances.

Sorry for confusing you again, I should have described it like this before.
I hope it's a little bit easier to understand now.

Thanks,
Reinhard

Lolling, Jan wrote:
> I am a little bit confused...
> If you talk about SVGs - do you mean several shapes e.g or do you mean several graphics ?
> SVG-Objects is not an appropriated name for anythink. We talk about svg graphics ore elements (one svg graphic contains several elements) and one element is one shape or group.
>
> JSVGCanvas can only display ONE graphic within several elements.
>
> Please describe your application architecture. Do you want create a application or web application ? In the second case you do not need batik and you can deliver and manipulate your graphic an an servlet e.g.
>
> Jan

Reinhard Brandstaedter   r.brandstaedter@gmx.at  GPG: 0x033B81DB
-    Student of Computer Science - J.K. University of Linz     -
-        <ICQ: 73059068>    <Mobile: +43 699 12419541>         -
-                  http://adelaide.dnsalias.net                -

Re: AW: AW: Batik and SVG for displaying multiple graphical Objects.. .

Posted by Reinhard Brandstädter <r....@gmx.at>.
Thank's for all your hints and suggestions!
I think I'll take a deeper look at Batik and SVG and use it for my work
as it sounds pretty good.

Cheers,
Reinhard

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.