Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Jérôme Pochat <jp...@sopragroup.com> on 2009/02/16 18:08:29 UTC

Configuring iPOJO service from Felix Web Console?

Hi
I'm trying to implement configurable service in standard way (that use
Config Admin Service for reading/writing configuration) and be able to
configure it using Felix Web Console. I succeeded to do this using SCR,
but failed using iPOJO service. I tried to follow "combining
ipojo/configuration" documentation
(http://felix.apache.org/site/combining-ipojo-and-configuration-admin.html#CombiningiPOJOandConfigurationAdmin-Prerequisites) but this solution doesn't seem to make possible configuration from web console.
Did anybody success to do this or confirm me that this is not supported
by current iPOJO release?
Thanks in advance

Re: Configuring iPOJO service from Felix Web Console?

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Carsten Ziegeler schrieb:
> Clement Escoffier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> You're right, it doesn't work. I don't know how the Web console manages
>> configurations. It might be possible that it requires a metatype file or
>> something like this to "generate" the create form correctly. Right now,
>> the Factory configuration list is empty (despite I deploy several
>> ManagedServiceFactory services), and the create button does nothing. Did
>> you have the same behavior ?
>>
>> Perhaps Carlsten or Felix can guide us to the light :-)
>>
> Yes, the current web console relies on the meta type description. Only
> if a meta type description exists for a configuration or a factory, it
> is displayed in the form.
> The scr plugin generates the meta type descriptor by default, that's the
> reason why it works this way :)

Actually it is the otherway around: the SCR plugin generates the meta
type descriptors because otherwise the console would not display the
configurations ;-)

The meta type descriptors are the only description of configurations. If
these are missing, the console can only find out about existing
configuration just display them as property lists.

Of course, the console could also look for ManagedService[Factory]
services and display empty configuration entries for these.

The drawback of this is, that this quickly fills the list of possible
configurations in the GUI - and since the GUI is not optimal right now,
it would be even worse if all the configurations without meta type would
also be displayed.

This is the actual reason, that the console only displays configurations
for which meta type descriptors exist.

Of course, the console could "enhanced" to disable this filter and
display everything....

Regards
Felix

Re: RE : Configuring iPOJO service from Felix Web Console?

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 16.02.2009, at 20:57, Pochat Jerome wrote:

> Thanks all for quick answers!
>
> My concern is to find a simple and generic UI to configure all my
> OSGi services (and service factories) that expose some properties,
> whatever technical tools/frameworks used by service (iPOJO, SCR...).
>
> If meta type descriptor can be added to iPOJO services and make them
> visible from Web Console, that would be great! Any other solution/
> idea would be appreciate also :)
> May be meta type information could be extracted from iPOJO
> annotations?

In the case of iPOJO, packaging time is not enough. But, after
discussing with Felix, it seems to be possible to create a bridge
computing metatype description for exposed iPOJO factories. In fact,
all the required information is computed at runtime and is available
(ComponentTypeDescription), so I just need to read it and to provide
the correct Metatype. I will do it ASAP (I plan to use the Web Console
very soon, so it should be available this week).

I just wonder how this mechanism can be used to add properties to
services (property propagation).

Regards,

Clement

Posted by Pochat Jerome <jp...@axway.com>.