Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2003/01/21 15:53:28 UTC

Proposed Resolution to create the Web Services Project

open-source software related to Web Services, for distribution
at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Web Services PMC", be and hereby
is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Web Services PMC be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to component
and service management, based on software licensed to the
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Web Services" be and
hereby is created, the person(s) holding such office to serve at
the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
Web Services PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management
of the projects within the scope of responsibility of the
Web Services PMC; and be it further

Web Services PMC:

     David Chappell
     Glen Daniels
     Anthony Elder
     Jeremy Hughes
     Tom Jordahl
     Erwin van der Koogh
     Ted Leung
     Steve Loughran
     Christian Geuer-Pollmann
     Axl Mattheus
     Nirmal Mukhi
     Scott Nichol
     Piotr Przybylski
     Sam Ruby
     Alek Slominski
     James Snell
     Davanum Srinivas
     Sanjiva Weerawarana

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Davanum Srinivas
be and hereby are appointed to the office of Vice President,
Web Services, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
development and increased participation in the Web Services Project;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
Axis subproject; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
SOAP subproject; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
Security subproject; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the XML
Axis sub-project and encumbered upon the Web Services PMC are
hereafter discharged.

Re: Proposed Resolution to create the Web Services Project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
:) +1 :)

-- dims

=====
Davanum Srinivas - http://xml.apache.org/~dims/

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Re: Proposed Resolution to create the Web Services Project

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.
On Wednesday 22 January 2003 06:22, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I will vote against any resolution calling for a "Web Services" project
> for the same reason we don't have a "Java" project or a ".NET" project.
> Those are marketing names owned and established by other companies.
> Find a new name.

Proposal; WOLF

Acronym to be determined later.

Rationale;
* Follow Apache Foundation's other animal names.
* Nature's Wolf is strong, cunning, work together and is feared.
* Installation of a Wolf Pack, indicates both lethal power and the common
description of "pack" as a software component/subsystem.
* Nice Logo can easily be designed.
* Doubt that an animal name can be trademarked.

Niclas

Re: Proposed Resolution to create the Web Services Project

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@ewarna.com>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.

On Tuesday, January 21, 2003, at 06:53  AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
> open-source software related to Web Services, for distribution
> at no charge to the public.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Web Services PMC", be and hereby
> is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it
> further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Web Services PMC be and hereby is responsible for
> the creation and maintenance of software related to component
> and service management, based on software licensed to the
> Foundation; and be it further

Sorry, no.  That is not specific enough to be a scope of work.  Be
specific
to avoid including httpd and commons in your scope.

> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Web Services" be and
> hereby is created, the person(s) holding such office to serve at
> the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
> Web Services PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management
> of the projects within the scope of responsibility of the
> Web Services PMC; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
> Web Services PMC:
>
>     David Chappell
>     Glen Daniels
>     Anthony Elder
>     Jeremy Hughes
>     Tom Jordahl
>     Erwin van der Koogh
>     Ted Leung
>     Steve Loughran
>     Christian Geuer-Pollmann
>     Axl Mattheus
>     Nirmal Mukhi
>     Scott Nichol
>     Piotr Przybylski
>     Sam Ruby
>     Alek Slominski
>     James Snell
>     Davanum Srinivas
>     Sanjiva Weerawarana
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Davanum Srinivas
> be and hereby are appointed to the office of Vice President,
> Web Services, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
> direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
> disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
> it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
> development and increased participation in the Web Services Project

That is where the board resolution should end.

> ;
> and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
> Axis subproject; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
> SOAP subproject; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Web Services PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the migration and rationalization of the XML PMC
> Security subproject; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the XML
> Axis sub-project and encumbered upon the Web Services PMC are
> hereafter discharged.

That stuff should be implied by the scope of work and worked out
between the XML and *new* PMCs.

....Roy

p.s. the rest looks like a paste-o

Re: Proposed Resolution to create the Web Services Project

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
:) +1 :)