Posted to women@apache.org by susan wu <su...@arctic.org> on 2005/08/20 06:52:18 UTC

best practices

Danese:

I would love to hear about some of the best practices you have experienced
at other female-oriented community lists.

-s

Re: best practices

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Danese Cooper wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out the best way to introduce that
> discussion.  I think it would be a good idea to do separate topic
> threads about different things I've noticed.  Earlier this week I  wrote
> about the practice of always announcing new subscribers, and  I'm
> noticing that Susan is giving it a whirl (with her intro of Anne
> Manes...Hi, Anne!!).  I guess I was expecting discussion about the
> practice.  If everyone is feeling okay about it, I'll start talking
> about what they do next, I guess.

It may have gotten lost in a welcome email. I reraised it with the
subject of "Practice of announcing newly added people"

  -jean

Re: best practices

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
I've been trying to figure out the best way to introduce that
discussion.  I think it would be a good idea to do separate topic
threads about different things I've noticed.  Earlier this week I
wrote about the practice of always announcing new subscribers, and
I'm noticing that Susan is giving it a whirl (with her intro of Anne
Manes...Hi, Anne!!).  I guess I was expecting discussion about the
practice.  If everyone is feeling okay about it, I'll start talking
about what they do next, I guess.

At Debian-Women each newbie is contacted offline by a list member to
(hopefully) start to create mentorship.  What actually happens is
still a little fuzzy to me, but it seems as if the newbie is first
announced by the moderator, then encouraged to write a bit about
themselves and why they subscribed and based on that information one
or more of the list members who have been around awhile make
contact.  When this happened to me I got five or six emails from
different list members welcoming me and asking questions about the
bio information I'd already submitted, and encouraging me to report
back on talks I would be giving, etc.  One list member in particular
seems to have attached herself to me now and if I've not had much to
say for a few days she pings me to see what I'm up to.  So this works
very much like joining the PTA or any other "social goodness"
organization where there is a welcoming committee.

Just in the last 2 weeks there has been quite a bit of discussion on
the D-W list about whether this technique will scale as D-W gets
bigger.  Most of those deeply concerned about scalability seem to be
the men on the list (but I might be over-generalizing).

BTW, I want to emphasize that D-W is not a "perfect place".  Of
course there are controversies (which I'll report on as they come up
in discussing the practices I'm seeing).

So, perhaps we should use this example (if not the previous one about
moderators introducing new members) to discover a set of questions we
should ask ourselves as we think through whether this practice would
work for us?

Danese