Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2001/06/27 22:38:50 UTC

build-related issues

Hi folks.  Three issues that have come up:

1.  Why are the jarfiles that are produced by our ant-based build process
compressed while those produced by the make-based process aren't?  We need
to resolve this inconsistency and come down on one side of the fence or the
other.  Which do people feel is more important:  performance or file size?

2.  Do we really need to keep archives of every Xerces-1 release around in
our dists directory?  Each release gobbles up 12 mb; is it reasonable for
us to dispose of all releases pre-1.2.0, say?

3.  Should we also supply RPM'd packages if such are made available from a
trusted source?  Is there a demand for RPM's and would having them on
apache make people's lives substantially easier?

For what it's worth, here's my $0.02:

1.  Take the size hit; our performance is slow enough and folks who care
that much about 500k of disk space won't want to use us for all sorts of
reasons anyway.

2.  I vote to blow away some of the ancient releases (though I don't have
any firm idea about the number);

3.  Since someone else (hgomez@slib.fr) has offered to do the RPM'ing, I'm
all for it.  :-)

Cheers,