Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2008/08/04 19:40:26 UTC

[PROPOSAL] remove ant and m2 offline build hacks from jSPF

As you know I'm working on a branch to make jSPF a multimodule product.
It took half an hour to prepare the modules and refactor the m2
descriptor so to have 2 modules correctly managed by m2 but it already
took a lot of hours trying to make it build while offline.

The "stage module" hack is too much against what m2 expects and it keep
giving me issues whenever I try to build the project using a different
m2 sequence (package, install, site, site:stage, validate).

Furthermore during the multimodule refactoring I had to remove the
build.xml because it was no more working and no more mantained for the
new structure.

Now I think in the last 2 years I lost full days of my work trying to
accomodate offline build capability using m2 hacks and this is now
starting being frustrating.

You can also add that this hack introduced new licensing issues because
NOT A SINGLE pom published in maven repositories have a license header
telling us what we can do with it.

I'm happy with standard maven 2 and I don't care of offline builds so
much to make this a blocking issue and I don't think that the build
system should be given more importance than the produced artifacts.
Maven has a dependency:go-offline target specifically created for people
that want to go offline that take care of downloading and installing any
needed artifact in the local repository. This is what maven supports. I
would be happier if m2 bundled most standard plugins in its distribution
and if m2 allowed packaging of a project including an offline
repository, but this is not the case.

That said I'd like to remove build.xml from jSPF because no one is
mantaining it and I'd also like to remove offline build support from
jSPF poms so I can start caring of code and output artifacts instead of
this stuff.

If people don't want to loose this and don't want to contribute a fix
then I'll close the branch "multimodule-proposal" because the amount of
work needed to mantain ant+m2+m2-offline-support is too much in a
multimodule product.

Stefano

Re: [PROPOSAL] remove ant and m2 offline build hacks from jSPF

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 19:40, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> As you know I'm working on a branch to make jSPF a multimodule product.
>> It took half an hour to prepare the modules and refactor the m2 descriptor
>> so to have 2 modules correctly managed by m2 but it already took a lot of
>> hours trying to make it build while offline.
>
> <snip/>
>
>> That said I'd like to remove build.xml from jSPF because no one is
>> mantaining it and I'd also like to remove offline build support from jSPF
>> poms so I can start caring of code and output artifacts instead of this
>> stuff.
>
> That's ok for me.
>
>   Bernd

Done in the multimodule branch.
I'll merge the changes to trunk soon unless anyone complain first.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 19:40, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> As you know I'm working on a branch to make jSPF a multimodule product.
> It took half an hour to prepare the modules and refactor the m2 descriptor
> so to have 2 modules correctly managed by m2 but it already took a lot of
> hours trying to make it build while offline.

<snip/>

> That said I'd like to remove build.xml from jSPF because no one is
> mantaining it and I'd also like to remove offline build support from jSPF
> poms so I can start caring of code and output artifacts instead of this
> stuff.

That's ok for me.

  Bernd