Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Chandrashekhar Kotekar <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/12 12:31:02 UTC

journal node shared edits directory should be present on HDFS or NAS or anything else?

Hi,

I am  trying to configure name node HA and I want to further configure
automatic fail over. I am confused about '*dfs.namenode.shared.edits.dir*'
configuration.

Documentation says that "active namde node writes to shared storage." I
would like to know if this means that name nodes write it on HDFS or do
they require shared storage like NAS or SAN or something else.

Regards,
Chandrash3khar Kotekar
Mobile - +91 8600011455

RE: journal node shared edits directory should be present on HDFS or NAS or anything else?

Posted by Brahma Reddy Battula <br...@huawei.com>.
Hello Chandrashekhar,

Yes, you need to configure the shared storage(Active namenode writes to shared storage and Standby NN will read).

 Please check following mail for configuration..Shared storage can be Journalnode(which is one process and come along with hadoop package, check following reference for more details)/NFS/BOOKKeeper

Thanks & Regards

 Brahma Reddy Battula

Posted by Chandrashekhar Kotekar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brahma Reddy,