Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> on 2018/03/06 15:51:24 UTC

GPars and versions of Groovy

Hi,

Currently the GPars build system assumes one and only one version of
Groovy. Currently we have four, most likely incompatible, versions of
Groovy on the boil: 2.4.14, 2.5.0-beta-3, 2.6.0-alpha-3, 3.0.0-alpha-1.
Should GPars be build specially for each version of Groovy?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: GPars and versions of Groovy

Posted by "Kerridge, Jon" <J....@napier.ac.uk>.
Hi,

It depends which bit of GPars you are using.  if you are using the CSP bit, sometimes known as JCSP, then this works on most JDK's back to 1.5 (I think).  I have recompiled the code as each JDK came ut to the latest version and never had to chnage the underlying Java coding.  I have yet to try JDK9.  But it is on my todo list in the near future.

I will be making the JCSP more easily availabale with an Apache 2 licence very shortly.

Jon

Professor Jon Kerridge
School of Computing
Edinburgh Napier University
Merchiston Campus
Edinburgh EH10 5DT

0131 455 2777
j.kerridge@napier.ac.uk<ma...@napier.ac.uk>
http://www.soc.napier.ac.uk/~cs10/

________________________________
Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 20:15 +0100, Jim Northrop wrote:
> Thanks to you for this -
>
> Does this mean that GPars will no longer work on JDK1.7 ? What is the
> minimum jdk that we require for GPars, please ?
> Thx
> Jim

GPars 2.0 requires JDK8 or later.

I am not interested in doing anything with any JDK earlier that JDK8,
so unless someone other than me does something, GPars 1.X is now past
end of life and unmaintained.

Posted by Jim Northrop <ja...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks to you for this -

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by "Kerridge, Jon" <J....@napier.ac.uk>.
Hi,

I am having the same problems with the JCSP and GroovyJCSP libraries as well!

Currently I have compilations for 2.4.14 and 2.5.x

I am then coping with the various versions of Java as well J8, 9 10 and 11 before the end of this year!

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 23:19 +0100, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> On 06.03.2018 16:51, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Currently the GPars build system assumes one and only one version
> > of
> > Groovy. Currently we have four, most likely incompatible, versions
> > of
> > Groovy on the boil: 2.4.14, 2.5.0-beta-3, 2.6.0-alpha-3, 3.0.0-
> > alpha-1.
> > Should GPars be build specially for each version of Groovy?
>
> building for 2.4.14 is supposed to work for 2.5.0 and 2.6.0. If not
> we
> did most likely something wrong. 3.0.0 is a different issue, but
> even
> here the 2.4.14 may just work.
>
> bye jochen

Experience with Gant (which I am using to fiddle to get data for
application on GPars, not because Gant is relevant any more) indicates
that 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 seem to behave the same but 3.0 is quite
different – which is entirely reasonable. However I am finding that
2.4.14 on JDK8 has some critical differences of XML processing
behaviour and some other issues to 2.4.14 on JDK9. So JDK9 causes some
parts of 2.4.14 to behave differently to 2.4.14 on JDK8. I guess this
implies CI is not picking up these differences.

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.