Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Martin Hejl <ma...@guh-software.de> on 2010/12/13 10:06:38 UTC

NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Hi everybody,

I just updated to Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7, and now I get a
NullpointerException whenever I try to publish to the server:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.put(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper.getEnvironment(DependencyHelper.java:442)
at
org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper.reorderModules(DependencyHelper.java:109)
at
org.apache.geronimo.st.core.GeronimoServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModules(GeronimoServerBehaviourDelegate.java:243)
at
org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:948)
at
org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:775)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:2889)
at
org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:337)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

The project I used for testing is the one described here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/5-minute-tutorial-on-enterprise-application-development-with-eclipse-and-geronimo.html

The exception disappears when switching back to 2.1.6 of the eclipse plugin

I'm using Eclipse 3.6.1

Any ideas?

Martin

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by han hongfang <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Fixings for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-689 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-690 are included in
Apache Geronimo Eclipse Plugin (GEP) 2.2.1, which works with both Geronimo
server 2.2.1 and Geronimo server 2.1.7.

You can install GEP 2.2.1 through eclipse update site
http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/updates/ or manual install it by
downloading from http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/2.2.1/.

--
Best regards,

Han Hong Fang (Janet)
hanhongfang AT apache.org

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 7, 2011, at 7:05 AM, ivan.vucinic wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have the same problem in Envioroment:
>
> 1. Windows XP SP3
> 2. Eclipse Helios 3.6.1 ser1
> 3. Apache Geronimo plugin 2.1.7
> 4. Apache Geronimo 2.1.7 running on Windows server 2003
> 5. JDK 1.5.0.22
>
> I am begginer on Eclipse JEE and I just tried to build HelloWorld
> application as Dynamic Web Project
>

> !ENTRY org.eclipse.wst.server.core 4 0 2011-01-07 12:48:28.781
> !MESSAGE Could not publish to the server.
> !STACK 0
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.put(Unknown Source)
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper.getEnvironment(DependencyHelper.java:442)
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.st.core.internal.DependencyHelper.reorderModules(DependencyHelper.java:109)
> 	at
> org.apache.geronimo.st.core.GeronimoServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModules(GeronimoServerBehaviourDelegate.java:243)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:948)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:775)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:2889)
> 	at
> org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:337)
> 	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

I believe this general problem has been fixed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-689 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-690

You can apply their associated patches and build GEP from source. IIUC, you can also work around this problem with the following steps (as described by Janet, previously:

1. In SampleUtility project, export the project into a jar, e.g., SampleUtility.jar
2. In SampleEAR project, create a lib folder under EarContent folder, and then copy SampleUtility.jar into lib folder
3. In SampleEJB project, add SampleUtility.jar as external JARs in Libraries tab of java build path panel

With above changes, the SampleEAR project can be published successfully in eclipse.

--kevan

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by han hongfang <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Martin Hejl <ma...@guh-software.de>wrote:

> Hi Janet,
>
> thank you for creating the JIRAs.
>

> For Utility project, the solution is
>> 1. In SampleUtility project, export the project into a jar, e.g.,
>> SampleUtility.jar
>> 2. In SampleEAR project, create a lib folder under EarContent folder,
>> and then copy SampleUtility.jar into lib folder
>> 3. In SampleEJB project, add SampleUtility.jar as external JARs in
>> Libraries tab of java build path panel
>> With above changes, the SampleEAR project can be published successfully
>> in eclipse.
>>
> is that a workaround, or the proposed solution?

Yeah, this should be a workaround before
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-690 is fixed.

> Replacing a Utility Project with a static jar sounds very much like the
> discussion brought up in
>
> http://apache-geronimo.328035.n3.nabble.com/Eclipse-Utility-Projects-with-2-1-2-td339278.html
> and
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-513
>
> I guess my question is - has support for Utility Projects been dropped with
> 2.1.7 (since it it's packaged as a static jar, one could just use a plain
> old Java project as well)?

I don't see the intention to drop the support for Utility Project in 2.1.7.
There should be a bug somewhere broken this function. For statis jar, I
agree plain old java project is enough.

--
Best regards,

Han Hong Fang (Janet)
hanhongfang AT apache.org

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by Martin Hejl <ma...@guh-software.de>.
Hi Janet,

Posted by han hongfang <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Good findings.

I skipped the instructions to delete ejbModule/META-INF/openejb-jar.xml
during my testing so it worked well. If I delete this file I can reproduce
your exception in my environment.

I opened two JIRAs.

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-689
NullPointerException
when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7 (I think it needs either
code or document update or even both)
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMODEVTOOLS-690
NullpointerException
occurs if one adds a "Utility Project" to the EAR

Thanks very much for catching the problem.

--
Best regards,

Han Hong Fang (Janet)
hanhongfang AT apache.org

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by Martin Hejl <ma...@guh-software.de>.
Hi again,

after a little bit of debugging, it seems to me that the problem is that
I've deleted ejbModule/META-INF/openejb-jar.xml in the SampleEJB
project, as is suggested in
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/5-minute-tutorial-on-enterprise-application-development-with-eclipse-and-geronimo.html

Since that file is gone, the check
file.getName().equals(GeronimoUtils.OPENEJB_PLAN_NAME) && file.exists()
in DependencyHelper Line 538 is false, so "environment" in
DependencyHelper Line 442 is never set for the EJB project.

Did I misread the instructions to delete ejbModule/META-INF/openejb-jar.xml?

By the way, a NullpointerException also occurs if one adds a "Utility
Project" to the EAR (since there's only handling for Web, EJB, EAR, RAR
and AppClient modules).

Maybe I'm simply misunderstanding how Geronimo works (I've been using
JBoss for a long time, and have just started using Geronimo).

> Another investigation is that let me try your projects in my
> environment, can you attach your projects in the mail?
I'll send them off list

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 13, 2010, at 8:43 AM, han hongfang wrote:

> Thanks Martin for your information.
>
> Let me try to find a Windows Vista 64 machine tomorrow, and try the scenario again before turning back to you.
>
> Another investigation is that let me try your projects in my environment, can you attach your projects in the mail?

Please don't attach files to mailing list emails. Create a Jira issue and attach the files there...

--kevan

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by han hongfang <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Best regards,

Han Hong Fang (Janet)
hanhongfang AT apache.org

Re: NullPointerException when publishing with Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v2.1.7

Posted by Martin Hejl <ma...@guh-software.de>.
Hi Janet,