Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ben Baumgold <be...@baumgold.com> on 2023/03/15 01:56:44 UTC

Apache Arrow PGP Key

Hi,

I recently became an Apache Arrow Committer.  As part of this, I would like
to add my PGP key to the Apache Arrow release KEYS file
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/arrow/KEYS>.  My understanding
is that I need someone to add me to The Web of Trust (link
<https://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html>).
Are you able to help me with this?

Thanks,
Ben Baumgold

Re: Apache Arrow PGP Key

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
I think we’re confusing two concepts: signing each others’ keys and adding them to the KEYS file.

It is reasonable that we, as a community, extend the web of trust by mutual signing. Let’s suppose Wes and I have signed each other’s keys. Someone from the Pandas community, who knows Wes, downloads a release of Calcite, signed by me. The downloader trusts the release because they trust Wes, and because Wes trusts me, they trust me.

Wes is not explicitly in the Calcite KEYS file, because he has never made a Calcite release, but his digital signature is encoded into in the long string of bytes (the PGP public key block) that make up my key.  Wes’s key is also available from internet key servers.

I suggest that as a community, we sign each other’s keys. When one of us becomes a release manager for Arrow, add our key to the KEYS file. (And periodically update the KEYS file, because each time someone signs our key, the public key block gets a little larger.)

But there’s no point adding your key to the KEYS file if you’re not an RM. Upload your key to a key server and it’s there for anyone who wants it.

Julian

Re: Apache Arrow PGP Key

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,