Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2015/05/21 17:46:33 UTC

REEF meetup in Seoul

Hi,

I'll be in Seoul on June 11th and 12th for a visit to Gon's lab.

Maybe we can use some of this time to discuss some of the more tricky
issues face to face. Let's use this thread to assemble the list of
topics we want to cover. Here are my initial entrances (centered on
Wake, obviously):

  * Wake instantiation: Which classes are singletons, which can't be?
  * Non-Singletons and Tang: What is a good pattern? Do we need
    something better than injected factories?
  * How do we best enable multiplexing of different types across the
    same network connection?
  * What's so bad about using HTTP(2) for our control flow?

Please add to this list, we can then weed through it and come up with an
agenda.

Let me also state the (Apache) obvious: We should strive to document the
f2f discussions best we can for the benefit of the community members not
in Seoul.

Thanks,

Markus

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
Hi,

I believe we have quite the list now:

  * [REEF-290] Wake instantiation: Which classes are singletons, which
               can't be?
  * [REEF-???] Non-Singletons and Tang: What is a good pattern? Do we
               need something better than injected factories?
  * [REEF-181] How do we best enable multiplexing of different types
               across the same network connection?
  * [REEF-???] What's so bad about using HTTP(2) for our control flow?
  * Fixing reef locking issue(s) - REEF-61, 62, 167, 294, Wake clock fix
  * [REEF-???] FS output service
  * [REEF-42]  YARN resource request handling
  * [REEF-31]  Tang namespaces
  * [REEF-???] Tasklets

How do we want to proceed on those? We could for instance have one
person in charge of each topic, which means that they file a JIRA where
none exists and update it with the discussion results for future reference.

What do you think?

Markus

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by John Yang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Regarding YARN cgroup container support, it seems that this is more about
YARN configuration rather than REEF. I believe with the configuration in
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/12/managing-multiple-resources-in-hadoop-2-with-yarn/,
the current REEF can use the cgroup cpu isolation(vcores) fine. So I don't
think we need to discuss this topic.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
John

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
Hi,

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
In addition to the topics, I would like to add the topics my group
discussed.

- Fixing reef locking issue(s) - REEF-61, 62, 167, 294, Wake clock fix
- FS output service - (this's done in another project and it'd be good to
incorporate it into REEF)
- YARN resource request handling - REEF-42, YARN request handling that does
not have allocation rate limiting for each node manager
- Tang namespace(?)

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
Hi,

Re: REEF meetup in Seoul

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Markus. The list covers important (wake-related) topics. :)

My group has also been discussing potential topics to work on in the REEF
hackathon. I will share them with the community once I'm back to Korea.

The current (tentative) schedule is as follows.
June 11 - Research chat (private), Deep dive on REEF .NET (public)
June 12 - REEF hackathon (public)

--
Byung-Gon Chun