Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by John Stevens <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2006/04/16 21:05:48 UTC

Suitability to use MINA for networked games

Hi everyone,

Could anyone please tell me the suitability and advantage of using the MINA
framework for a simple multiplayer client/server game as opposed to using
standard Java NIO? I've studied the website and docs of MINA but to be
honest the information provided as well as documentation for the examples is
a little sparse (i.e. theres no informative and detailed
tutorial/documentation/links as there are with other Apache projects). I
know that there are PDF docs and the wiki but for a MINA beginner like me
its seems very difficult to get into. Maybe others have felt the same too?

If MINA does make network programming simple then it would be of interest to
me. I have done network programming (although I'm no expert) but if this
framework provides the infrastructure for common networking issues then I am
interested in using it for my simple game.

Any help, info, and advice is greatly appreciated. I would really love to
know the steps needed to be taken when creating a simple client and server
game using MINA. Many thanks in advance.

John

Discover the magic of RSS feeds at MSN Ireland! http://ie.msn.com/

Re: Suitability to use MINA for networked games

Posted by Michael Link <mi...@onlinehome.de>.
Hi John,

I recommend to take a look at the examples. Together with the tutorial
they are quite easy to understand and show the main principles of MINA.
The presentation and the movie of
http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/mina/getting_started.html are
also very helpful.

Mike

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

On 4/17/06, John Stevens <jo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Could anyone please tell me the suitability and advantage of using the
> MINA
> framework for a simple multiplayer client/server game as opposed to using
> standard Java NIO? I've studied the website and docs of MINA but to be
> honest the information provided as well as documentation for the examples
> is
> a little sparse (i.e. theres no informative and detailed
> tutorial/documentation/links as there are with other Apache projects). I
> know that there are PDF docs and the wiki but for a MINA beginner like me
> its seems very difficult to get into. Maybe others have felt the same too?

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with our documentation.  We are going to
revise our documentation again when we release MINA 1.0.

If MINA does make network programming simple then it would be of interest to
> me. I have done network programming (although I'm no expert) but if this
> framework provides the infrastructure for common networking issues then I
> am
> interested in using it for my simple game.

Yes, it does.  There was a people who implemented a game server for
flash/applet games and he satisfied with MINA.

Any help, info, and advice is greatly appreciated. I would really love to
> know the steps needed to be taken when creating a simple client and server
> game using MINA. Many thanks in advance.

It would be nice if you narrow your question so we can answer to individual
details. :)

Any additional comments are welcome!

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6