Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> on 2018/10/23 15:32:08 UTC

towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer

Now that the formal donation process for the composer code base is
completed, we can start working towards the first formal release of
composer from the Apache OpenWhisk.

The motivation for a formal release is that we should have a formal Apache
release to enable us to publish an openwhisk-composer package to npm (to
replace the prior ibm-functions/composer npm package).

I'm willing to act as release manager for the initial release of this
package.

I believe the main technical work to be done before we can start preparing
a release candidate and then initiating the voting process is to agree on
the npm package name (suggestion: openwhisk-composer), and update the
documentation/code in the openwhisk-composer code base  accordingly.  Are
there any other items that I have overlooked?

--dave

Re: towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.

Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote on 11/09/2018 09:17:41
AM:

> From: Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
> To: dev@openwhisk.apache.org
> Date: 11/09/2018 09:18 AM
> Subject: Re: towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 5:33 PM David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > ...Now that the formal donation process for the composer code base is
> > completed...
>
> I checked and actually the IP clearance has not been completed, the
> form at [1] needs to be approved by the Incubator PMC.
>
> I'm happy to start that vote but before I do that I have a question at
> INVALID URI REMOVED

u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_INCUBATOR-2D222&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

> siA1ZOg&r=Fe4FicGBU_20P2yihxV-
> apaNSFb6BSj6AlkptSF2gMk&m=LvtctSliuAH1oSmIn5OWjwkQ2mJdTsxWdQWqijWkiZI&s=-
> DA1EBQooxSqKd9PbvM9yc9TmPn3GY-G_QDbapn0oDg&e=, Dave if you can
> answer there I'll move that forward.
>
> In principle the vote that remains is just a formality but it is
> required before that module can be released.
>
> -Bertrand

Answered.  Sorry, I could have been more explicit in my Oct 17th comment
that we were fine to proceed with just the iCLAs.

Please initiate a vote thread on the IPMC.

thanks,

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
I agree Bertrand, I personally have not dealt with IP clearance and
acceptance so I was not aware one of the PPMC could do it.

Please let us know and be explicit in the future if we can do this certain
type of things, we will be glad to drive them as PPMC that’s our role and
practice doesn’t hurt :-)

— Carlos

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.

Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote on 11/20/2018 12:30:46
PM:

> We're all good to release this module now, and sorry that it took so
> long - next time I think PPMC members can do almost all of this
> without mentors help, we should try that!
>
> -Bertrand

Thanks Bertrand!

I think I've learned how to do this now.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:38 PM David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...Did you get a chance to initiate the vote email on the IPMC list?...

Sorry, I had a crazy week and forgot that - I started the vote now
[1], made a note to tally it in 72 hours.

Any PPMC member could have started that vote, sorry if I failed to mention that.

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Bertrand,

	Did you get a chance to initiate the vote email on the IPMC list?
If not, could you do it (or is it possible for me to do it)?

	On the technical/code side, we are ready to start the process of
making the first Apache release of the composer module, but I think I have
to wait for the IPMC vote to accept the code before I can start a release
vote?

thanks,

-dave

Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote on 11/09/2018 09:17:41
AM:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 5:33 PM David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > ...Now that the formal donation process for the composer code base is
> > completed...
>
> I checked and actually the IP clearance has not been completed, the
> form at [1] needs to be approved by the Incubator PMC.
>
> I'm happy to start that vote but before I do that I have a question at
> INVALID URI REMOVED

u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_INCUBATOR-2D222&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

> siA1ZOg&r=Fe4FicGBU_20P2yihxV-
> apaNSFb6BSj6AlkptSF2gMk&m=LvtctSliuAH1oSmIn5OWjwkQ2mJdTsxWdQWqijWkiZI&s=-
> DA1EBQooxSqKd9PbvM9yc9TmPn3GY-G_QDbapn0oDg&e=, Dave if you can
> answer there I'll move that forward.
>
> In principle the vote that remains is just a formality but it is
> required before that module can be released.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1] INVALID URI REMOVED

u=http-3A__incubator.apache.org_ip-2Dclearance_openwhisk-2Dcomposer.html&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-

> siA1ZOg&r=Fe4FicGBU_20P2yihxV-

apaNSFb6BSj6AlkptSF2gMk&m=LvtctSliuAH1oSmIn5OWjwkQ2mJdTsxWdQWqijWkiZI&s=rvgUoNLJwXaLhKKCX9sKLW7QBcb2ijBJB3Pu7IvucGY&e=

Re: towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-222, Dave if you can

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/openwhisk-composer.html

Re: towards the first apache release of openwhisk-composer

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1

Same comments as Matt on using the release repo to do the RC for the source tgz.

- Carlos Santana
@csantanapr