Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/12/02 02:16:36 UTC

User license acceptance db+plugin thingy for Maven

Maybe we need a plugin to require users to accept a set of
dependencies licenses... caching the results per-artifact or group,
etc... so the user can just mass accept a projects deps licenses once
and then be done with it?

Can work in similar fashion to enforcer... or maybe even a rule for
the enforcer?

Hrm.... I started a plugin and then like an idiot I accidentally rm -
rf'd the wrong tree when I was about to check it in.  But I might
rebuild it...

--jason

Re: User license acceptance db+plugin thingy for Maven

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Interesting idea, but wouldn't it make more sense to have a separate
plugin that only makes you accept the license when you download the
artifact from the remote repository? If I'm not using a repository
manager and am downloading from from maven.org that might be nice. Once
it is an internal repository I wouldn't think that would be necessary
though.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Jason,

If you DO start going down this route, definitely steal the code from
remote-resources that merges in supplimental data to augment all the
crappy poms that don't have license information in them, especially the
poms from Sun.   It would be great if both plugins could use the same
supplimental data.

(If you need an example that shows the supplimental data in use, look at
CXF)

Dan

On Saturday 01 December 2007, Jason Dillon wrote:
> Maybe we need a plugin to require users to accept a set of
> dependencies licenses... caching the results per-artifact or group,
> etc... so the user can just mass accept a projects deps licenses once
> and then be done with it?
>
> Can work in similar fashion to enforcer... or maybe even a rule for
> the enforcer?
>
> Hrm.... I started a plugin and then like an idiot I accidentally rm -
> rf'd the wrong tree when I was about to check it in.  But I might
> rebuild it...
>
> --jason

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer