Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk> on 1996/04/01 08:15:33 UTC

Re: Problems with documentation (fwd)

> Is this an Apache-SSL thing?
>
> I've seen another comment about all the config stuff being in
> one file and thought it was a mistake...

Hmmm ... well, yes, Apache-SSL does come with empty access.conf and srm.conf
files.

However, I don't think that is this guy's problem.

Anyway, it states quite clearly on the Apache-SSL page that I will support it
in exchange for money. But this guy seems to think I should do it just to make
him happy.

Cheers,

Ben.

> not acked.

> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 02:21:50 -0500
> From: Karl Waddell <kw...@gate.net>
> To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
> Subject: Problems with documentation
>
> To whom it may concern:
>
> This is not a flame mail, rather contructive criticism. I was searching
> for a cheap commerce server alternative to the Netscape server, (high
> price) and I ran across your server listing in yahoo. I decided to give
> it a try. I found the access slow(on an internal network), and have had
> problems configuring the darn thing. The installation creates the
> httpd.conf, access.conf, and srm.conf files but only the httpd.conf file
> has any data in it. On top of this it also contains data that should
> reside in the access.conf and srm.conf files. I tried to move those
> options over to the correct files and recieved nothing but a server
> configuration error when trying to execute my cgi scripts. I gave it a
> try for a couple of weeks, looking at your online docs and information I
> had from my previous test server NCSA. You documentation is sparce
> regarding errors, and the news groups take too long to receive an answer
> if at all. I think if you want to beat Netscape on the SSL side you
> should beef up your support for the product. Netscape can provide
> imediate technical support for all of the server product or can at least
> reserch the matter. I did post an email to apache and all I recieved was
> a reply stating I should use this generic access.conf file. You will not
> top Netscape without some better support. I wish you luck in your goal,
> but, I have decided to abandon apache, at least until better support
> becomes available, in favor of NCSA's for inhouse testing. I will not
> support clients who wish to install your product, because I can not
> support it!!! If better support does become available I will take
> another look at Apache, but not right now.
>
> Good Luck
>

> Karl Philip Waddell
> President
> The Virtual City Inc.
>
> ----- End of forwarded message from Karl Waddell -----
>
> --
> Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
> The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)  http://www.imdb.com/
>            ...more movie info than you can poke a stick at.

London, England.