Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/30 23:32:07 UTC

Some UIMA configuration parameters are not validated

Code added in 2.4.1 to log configuration parameter values and their origins
has exposed an old bug whereby group parameter settings are not checked if
any non-group parameters have settings.  At least one existing application
has invalid group parameter settings that were not detected prior to 2.4.1
and is now failing, so we need a way to support such applications until
their invalid settings can be corrected.  (see Jira UIMA-3123)

Some choices are:
1) Continue omitting the check in 2.4.1 and merely log the error
2) Only omit the check if a special environmental variable is set, e.g.
UIMA240Compatible=true

I prefer #2 as I suspect the problem is rare (only for descriptors with
settings for both group & non-group parameters with errors in the group
values)

~Burn

Re: Some UIMA configuration parameters are not validated

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
Since at least one customer has such invalid descriptors that UIMA 2.3
falsely accepts, we have implemented #1 in 2.4.2.  The validation
terminates on the first error so it must be corrected before others will be
found.  In a later release we will implement #2.

~Burn