Posted to dev@systemds.apache.org by Janardhan <ja...@apache.org> on 2021/06/08 17:13:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] General website development flow

Hi,

The website generated files are now modified via `asf-staging` branch
instead of svn repo. Source files are updated normally in the `master`
branch.

At present the main website is being deployed from this branch based on
[1]. And how is this done internally via infrastructure puppet[2].

```yml
publish:
  profile: ~
  whoami:  asf-staging
```

The update instructions are in the readme[3].

Next features:

1. Automatic update of the website files with github actions.
2. Use the `asf-site` branch for the official website.
Creating a new branch `asf-site` with strict review requirement (at least 1
human check)
for merging `asf-staging` commits into `asf-site` via PR.

What happened to our svn repo?

The SVN repo[4] is intact - but our changes won't be reflected since
we are using gitpubsub instead of svnpubsub.

Now, the configuration file is properly configured and branches are
protected.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/systemds-website/blob/f19f676b2543bc1aaecb9f8cdf03f957edc1d1f4/.asf.yaml#L36-L39

[2]
https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet/blob/8dc9f16c3ec530cf0c1babd835696daf764ab235/modules/gitbox/files/asfgit/asfyaml.py#L635-L663
[3]
https://github.com/apache/systemds-website/tree/master#updating-the-website
[4] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/systemds/

Thanks,
Janardhan

Re: [DISCUSS] General website development flow

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@apache.org>.
I just found out that git lfs is not at all an option anyway.
What is the size of the datasets, if I can ask?

--
> We have artifacts for old releases on the webpage.

We do not keep any artifacts in the repo right? - they are hosted
by downloads.apache.org

Yes, I think the present setup is pretty much ok (simple update,
and github action to check that the website will build).

Best,
Janardhan

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,