Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Smith G <gu...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/22 11:26:12 UTC

range of scores : queryNorm()

Hello ,
          I have observed that even if we change boosting
drastically, scores are being normalized at the end because of
queryNorm value. Is there anything ( regarding to the queryNorm) that
we can rely on ? like score will always be under 10 or some fixed
value ? The main objective is to provide scores in a fixed range to
the partner. So have you been experienced anything like this? Is it
possible to do so ?.
   Have you been experienced any strange situation like for a
particular query, result scores were really high compared to routine?
if yes,I would like to know  the factor that effected scores
drastically, because it may help me to proceed or understand the
cases.
Thanks

(NOTE : I am sorry, I have also posted in solr group, there were no
replies and also I feel this place is even more apt.).

Re: range of scores : queryNorm()

Posted by Smith G <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hello ,

 > Could you back up a step and tell us what the upper-level
> task you're trying to accomplish is? That is, why the partner
> wants the number?

 I am not sure, I was assigned to do this task. It must be related to
furthur tweaks of the result-set which is based on scores.

>  The normalized score
> *is* in a fixed range already, between 0 and 1. Would it serve
> to just modify that and send it back to the partner?

    But, I have got some results whose score is above 1. I do not know
whether I met your conditions (default) .
For ex..

3.0334244 = (MATCH) fieldWeight(freeTextField:england in 7083017), product of:
  2.236068 = tf(termFreq(freeTextField:england)=5)
  7.235139 = idf(docFreq=14539, maxDocs=7420800)
  0.1875 = fieldNorm(field=freeTextField, doc=7083017)

Thanks.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
> I have observed that even if we change boosting
> drastically, scores are being normalized at the end because of
> queryNorm value. Is there anything ( regarding to the queryNorm) that
> we can rely on ?

Dunno.

> like score will always be under 10

No.

> or some fixed  value ?

I think not.

> The main objective is to provide scores in a fixed range to
> the partner. So have you been experienced anything like this? Is it
> possible to do so ?.

You could normalize the scores yourself, probably most easily in a
pass through them once the search has completed.  Beware of comparing
scores across searches and indexes.

> Have you been experienced any strange situation like for a
> particular query, result scores were really high compared to routine?

Not me, but I rarely look at scores directly.  I just care that the
right docs get found.

--
Ian.