Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/15 04:52:11 UTC

RAT exclusions for test resources

Hello

I've resolved all of the items raised in feedback for the 0.0.2
release excluding one item which will be discussed in a moment.  All
of the feedback and their disposition is captured in this JIRA

The only outstanding item is this feedback:

"One thing I'd fix for the next release is the exclusion of test
resources from the RAT check. Wouldn't it be better to do that by file
extension (e.g., */.json, */.avro) to avoid not checking files that
could have license headers?"

I would like to leave it as we have it now.  People should take care
to apply the apache license header to everything including test data
whenever possible.  But we must also be considerate of the fact that
test data is just that - test data.  It is important that data under
test mirrors exactly the data it is to be run against and certainly
data we'd be processing in the wild will not often have license
headers.  Given this I don't see how we can keep the RAT exclusion
list from turning into a mess.  I prefer to trust that the developers
are doing the right thing on test resources and keep the build simple.
For non test resources though we retain a very specific and strict
check.

I'll close the ticket tracking the items raised for now but should
folks have a strong view here then certainly we can address it.

Thanks
Joe

Re: RAT exclusions for test resources

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
On 03/16/2015 07:53 PM, Joe Witt wrote:
> ok i think this is now case closed.  Actions taken
>
> 1) Pushed all module specific RAT exclusions down to the specific
> relevant modules
> 2) Removed the broad RAT exclusion for test resources
> 3) Added specific RAT exclusions per test file for which it was
> appropriate based on the test resource in question.
> 4) Validated full clean build is good to go and that the full RAT
> verification works
> 5) Fixed 3 module directory names which did not match their artifact
> names (nifi-cluster -->  nifi-framework-cluster...)
>
> We should now be taking full advantage of RAT and only excluding
> specifically approved items.
>
> Ryan: Thanks for being persistent.  You were right.
>
> Thanks
> Joe

Thanks, Joe!

On second thought, I'd rather more work for the release manager than for
me. Is it too late?

:)

rb

--