Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Philippe Anctil <ph...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/28 16:20:36 UTC

Re: Http2UpgradeHandler error

Hi,

I have recently started encountering "APR general error" messages with
Tomcat 8.5.0 + tc native 1.2.5. I have no clue what triggers the issue. I
came across this thread and I am tempted to upgrade to 8.5.6 and
tomcat-native 1.2.8. However it would be best if I could reproduce the
problem before/after the upgrade to confirm the effectiveness of the
solution. Could you share some information on how to trigger this error?

Thank you.

> On 23/06/2016 13:07, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> It turned out not to be quite as simple as just a tc-native update.
> >> You'll need this dll:
> >> http://home.apache.org/~markt/dev/tc-native-debug/tcnative-1.dll
> >>
> >> and these class files:
> >> http://home.apache.org/~markt/dev/tc-native-debug/tomcat-8.
> 5.3-patch.zip
> >>
> >> The dll should replace the tc-native DLL you are currently using.
> >>
> >> The class files patch the 8.5.3 release. They might work with other
> >> versions but if they don't work it won't be pretty. The class files
> >> should be unpacked from the zip placed in this directory:
> >> $CATALINA_BASE/lib/org/apache/tomcat/util/net
> >>

> >> Hopefully, everything should now just work when you use TLS. If it
> >> doesn't there will be some debug messages written to stdout by tc-native
> >> that should give me an idea of what is going wrong.
> >>
> >> Finally, I need to point out the obvious.
> >> The files above are not an official Apache release and are provided
> >> solely for debugging this issue only. You use these files at your own
> risk.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the offer to help,
> >>
> >> Mark
> >>

> > I ran the test, Tomcat doesn't log anymore errors, Firefox seems happy
> :-)
> >
> > Tried with Chrome 51.0.2704.103 m, it also seems happy, showing h2
> > and/or spdy as protocol when loading various resources of the app.
> >
> > Tried MS Edge, but that seems to use HTTP 1.1 for some reason.
>
> Excellent. Thanks for testing this so quickly. The fix will be in the
> next releases.
>
> Mark

Philippe Anctil

Re: Http2UpgradeHandler error

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 28/10/2016 17:20, Philippe Anctil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently started encountering "APR general error" messages with
> Tomcat 8.5.0 + tc native 1.2.5. I have no clue what triggers the issue. I
> came across this thread and I am tempted to upgrade to 8.5.6 and
> tomcat-native 1.2.8. However it would be best if I could reproduce the
> problem before/after the upgrade to confirm the effectiveness of the
> solution. Could you share some information on how to trigger this error?

That will be tricky. It was triggered by a OS level network error during
non-blocking TLS I/O that wasn't EAGAIN. You'd need to be able to
trigger the right type of error at the right moment to recreate this issue.

This might be one of those times where you have to accept that it isn't
practical to create a test case that always triggers the error.

Mark