Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2016/02/23 21:17:23 UTC

Nvidia GRID vGPUs not detected by VMs

Hi,

Has anyone played with the GRID vGPUs from Nvidia?
I got it working at some point in the recent past, but not sure what has happened in the meanwhile, although Cloudstack allocated the vGPU correctly (checked XenCenter), Windows 8.1 VM will not "see it"; driver installations fails as well since the correct GPU is not detected.

Anyone got a clue what voodoo must be invoked?
The XenServer is up to date and licensed as Enterprise.

XenCenter shows me the GPU is nicely sliced between the VMs that use the feature, confirmed by the Properties section of the said VMs; vGPUs are allocated to the, yet Windows only shows a "Microsoft Display Adapter" in Device Manager.

Oddly nvidia-smi should be showing me some vGPUs are in use, which does not seem to be the case..

nvidia-smi
Tue Feb 23 20:09:19 2016
| NVIDIA-SMI 352.70     Driver Version: 352.70         |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GRID K2             On   | 0000:05:00.0     Off |                  Off |
| N/A   35C    P8    28W / 117W |    426MiB /  4095MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
|   1  GRID K2             On   | 0000:06:00.0     Off |                  Off |
| N/A   35C    P8    51W / 117W |    906MiB /  4095MiB |      0%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID  Type  Process name                               Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                 |

Nothing helpful in the logs.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: Nvidia GRID vGPUs not detected by VMs

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
And to answer my own question, what I did to get it working is (in the VM):
- disable the Microsoft Display Adapter
- install the NVIDIA drivers version 354.56_grid_kepler_win8_win7_64bit_international

Then, after the reboot the VM came back with a NVIDIA GRID card as expected.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.