Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Christophe Dupriez <ch...@poisoncentre.be> on 2008/02/15 11:00:33 UTC

French localization of JSPWiki

Hi!

I just installed the french localisation of JSPWiki for:
http://www.destin.be/CAFE
To test French localisation, you have to put French as your prefered language in your browser.

You probably know that "Tu" (you to one person) is a very "familiar" way to interact with a person in French.
It is more for "equal to equal discussion" and not for "formal discussion".

Specifically, a robot (a computer) saying "Toi", "Tu", "Ton" is not acceptable to oldtimers like me.
Robots have to remain formal.
Authors may choose to become "familiar" with the reader (computer being only a medium) but this applies only to "authors talks": "system messages" are not coming from an individual, from the author.
By essence, a Wiki, a "We key" is a collective work: it is not a blog, an individual communicating to others.

I also have problems with UTF-8 decoding of messages (this may be the fault of my modifications to support UTF-8 in WikiNames).
Parameters like {0} does not always work either (See the myPreferences tag in my modified 2.6.1 version).

So what the (french speaking) community thinks is the best for french localisation: "Tu/Toi" or "Vous"? "Ton" or "Vos"?
I may then propose a modified localisation for 2.6.1... By the way, what is necessary to make and keep french localisation part of the core JSPWiki distribution?

Thanks!

Christophe Dupriez
Centre Antipoisons-Antigifcentrum + DESTIN.be

Re: French localization of JSPWiki

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> I also have problems with UTF-8 decoding of messages (this may be
> the fault of my modifications to support UTF-8 in WikiNames).

All property files must be in Latin1.

/Janne

Re: French localization of JSPWiki

Posted by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de>.
Hi Christophe,

as you might know it's exactly the same in Germany.

The German translation uses Du/Toi/the familiar way at the moment. The
original authors think that this reflects the original translation and
the wiki nature the most. I agree with that, although it isn't be
best solution for all, of course.

As I mentioned, it's _exactly_ the same in Germany, all your arguments
apply to Germany as well. Here, "oldtimers" also tend to a more formal
way. I think it's not even a question of age but in which context the
wiki is used: internal/external, how the organization/company deals
with "Tu or Vous", how the effective wiki users address each other.

Regards,
 Florian

Re: French localization of JSPWiki

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Christophe,

If you want, you can send your .properties files (suggest to add via
JIRA) and I'll take them in in the core distribution..
I had started on the fr localisation some time back, but only reached
at about 30% of the translation.
So your help would be greatly appreciated.

dirk