Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Samara, Fadi N Mr ACSIM/ASPEX" <Fa...@us.army.mil> on 2006/02/24 19:18:54 UTC

RE: first jdbc tomcat application (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

That's what I was thinking, but it could easily be changed and he indicated
that he was successfully able to bring up Tomcat's index page.
So I am not sure this is an issue.

Fadi

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
I've done several developments with MySQL and Tomcat.  Never defined the
datasource in the <DefaultContext> element so I can't speak to how that
should work.  The error is usually the result of a configuration element
out of place between where the <Resource> element is declared and your
java code.  The <Resource> config looks good though.

My advice is :

- Move this <Resource/> definition to your context's <Context> element
in [tomcat_dir]conf/Catalina/localhost/[webapp_name_here].xml.  If
deploying in a .war file, the file should be named context.xml and
placed in the META-INF directory of your .war file.

- Make sure you have a <resource-ref> section in the web.xml file of
your webapp.

- This is pretty much a laundry list item, but make sure your mysql.jar
file is in [tomcat_dir]/common/lib.  The jar has to be there to be
picked up by the tomcat container and instantiate a database pool.

If you make these changes, restart tomcat to make sure it catches the
new config.

--David

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
Backwards.  See http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/j/

Tim

Isn't that the old mysql driver?? I thought the new one is:
org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
or do I have it backwards?

David McMinn wrote:

> Tomcat Server 5.5.15 - I searched for solutions and most mention a
> Context element in the server.xml.
>
> I only have a DefaultContext tag within with I have my resouce tag:
>
> <DefaultContext>
>  <Resource
>                 auth="Container"
>                 driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>                 logAbandoned="true"
>                 maxActive="100"
>                 maxIdle="30"
>                 maxWait="10000"
>                 name="jdbc/wroxTC5"
>                 password="everypass"
>                 removeAbandoned="true"
>                 removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
>                 type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>
> url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/everycitizen?autoReconnect=true"
>                 username="everyuser"
>         />
>  </DefaultContext>
>
> The actual failure is on the connection = ds.getConnection(); line in
> the jsp if that helps any.
>
> SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
> org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
> driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'
>  at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource
.java:780)
>  at

org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource.ja
va:540)
>  at

org.apache.jsp.wroxjdbc.JDBCTest_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.wroxjdbc.JDB
CTest_jsp:83)
>  at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>  at

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:3
32)
>  at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
>  at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
>  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>  at

FilterChain.java:252)
>  at

ain.java:173)
>  at

va:213)
>  at

va:178)

)
>  at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105
)
>  at

:107)

--
Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer

Re: Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Posted by Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com>.

--
Mike Sabroff
Web Services Developer

Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'

Re: jdbc tomcat

Posted by David McMinn <d_...@yahoo.com>.
no change - same situation.

Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com> wrote:  When I do this from a program or bean or servlet, i make the connection
a true url:

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/everycitizen?username=everyuser&password=%%%%%"

I dont know if it is different in the server.xml as I have never tried this, but why should it be?

I have been fooled by thinking logically b4 and I know that things are different in different setups, but it's worth a try, huh?

Mike

--
Mike Sabroff
Web Services

Re: jdbc tomcat

Posted by Mike Sabroff <mi...@cygnusb2b.com>.

--
Mike Sabroff
Web Services

jdbc tomcat

Posted by David McMinn <d_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David McMinn <d_...@yahoo.com>.
I'm running Tomcat 5.5 - The mysql port is 3306 - I made that change to the server.xml file

  "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/everycitizen

  Still get the same result - page not found or

Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 2/26/06, David McMinn wrote:

> I had not added an error-page tag to the web.xml - The default behavior
> would be a stack trace which would be fine w/ me - In my jsp, I have @ page
> errorPage="errorpg.jsp"......
>
> I don't get a stack trace but I get a page w/ this message...."Cannot
> create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' ".
>

> Here is my original posting.
>
> I'm stepping through the example Professional Apache Tomcat 5 book by
> Wrox in Chapter 14 - I have set up the mysql database and confirmed it works
> and set up the tomcat server and confirmed that I can see my index.jsppage. When I try to go to
> http://localhost:8070/jsp-examples/wroxjdbc/JDBCTest.jsp
> I get a standard The page cannot be displayed page.
>
> I've included all my steps below. Anyone that can help is most
> appreciated. Thanks in advance.....Dave
>
> Steps I have done
>
> 1) Created a DB called everycitizen and a table called test with a
> column called pk. Created user everyuser w/ a password and granted Select
> privileges to that user.
> 2) Copied the mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar into
> $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
> 3)Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml just before
> the . Password is blotted out.
>

> > javax.sql.Datasource" name="jdbc/WroxTC5"
> driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
> url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/everycitizen"

what is the port u run the mysql server?
the default is 3306

"jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test?autoReconnect=true"

username="everyuser" password="everypass" maxActive="20" maxIdle="30000"

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.

Posted by umesh balasubramaniam <um...@gmail.com>.
David,

I had a similar problem and solved it by adding the parameters using
resourceparams instead of specifying all the parameters in the resource tag
itself. Like this:

<Resource name="jdbc/galleryDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource
"/>

                <ResourceParams name="jdbc/galleryDB">
                <parameter>
                        <name>factory</name>
                <value>org.apache.commons.dbcp
.BasicDataSourceFactory</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>driverClassName</name>
                        <value>com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:mysql://localhost/Gallery?autoReconnect=true</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>username</name>
                        <value>GalleryUser</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>password</name>
                        <value>hwaying</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>maxActive</name>
                        <value>20</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>maxIdle</name>
                        <value>10</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>maxWait</name>
                        <value>-1</value>
                </parameter>
        </ResourceParams>
</Context>

Umesh

Posted by David McMinn <d_...@yahoo.com>.
I had not added an error-page tag to the web.xml - The default behavior would be  a stack trace which would be fine w/ me - In my jsp, I have @ page errorPage="errorpg.jsp"......

  I don't get a stack trace but I get a page w/ this message...."Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null' ".

  Here is my original posting.

  I'm stepping through the example Professional Apache Tomcat 5 book by Wrox in Chapter 14 - I have set up the mysql database and confirmed it works and set up the tomcat server and confirmed that I can see my index.jsp page. When I try to go to http://localhost:8070/jsp-examples/wroxjdbc/JDBCTest.jsp
  I get a standard The page cannot be displayed page.

  I've included all my steps below. Anyone that can help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.....Dave

  Steps I have done

  1) Created a DB called everycitizen and a table called test with a column called pk. Created user everyuser w/ a password and granted Select privileges to that user.
  2) Copied the mysql-connector-java-3.1.12-bin.jar into $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
  3)Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml just before the </Host tag>. Password is blotted out.

 <!-- added by DM 2/22/2006 -->
 <DefaultContext>
  <Resource name="jdbc/WroxTC5" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.Datasource"
  driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/everycitizen"
  username="everyuser" password="everypass" maxActive="20" maxIdle="30000" maxWait="100"/>
 </DefaultContext>
  4) Added the following to the $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/jsp-examples/WEB-INF web.xml file at the bottom just before the </web-app> entry after the last env-entry.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@verizon.net>.

Posted by David McMinn <d_...@yahoo.com>.
8070 works - i changed because i had a conflict w/ 8080 -

  Based on Roberts response (below) - I've narrowed it down to this statement in the jsp

  Connection conn = ds.getConnection();

  Unfortunately the logs don't say anything - I just get a page not found. If I take that out (and all subsequent jsp) it works fine. So right up to that point the jsp page renders fine - When I include that one more line, it blows up. I'm still looking but if someone knows please chime in. Thanks,

  Dave

  What do the logs say?
Have you tried connecting to MySQL outside of Tomcat?
Does that work?
Can you get the page to display without the JDBC stuff in it?

/robert