Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Yee-Wah Lee <ye...@oracle.com> on 2012/02/24 00:24:24 UTC

[Trinidad] RFC: Raising minimum JDK version for Trinidad plugins

Hi everyone,

I have seen a couple of issues in the maven-i18n-plugin which could be resolved by some code changes + moving to a higher JDK version. My understanding is that the plugins currently need to compile in JDK1.5 as well as 1.6.

1) TRINIDAD-2126 : convertdatetime fails with datestyle=full, th_th or ja_jp_jp locale
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRINIDAD-2126

The JSLocaleElementsGenerator uses DateFormatSymbols#getEras() to generate era strings like 'BC', 'AD'.
However, in non-Gregorian calendars like Thai Buddhist (th_TH) and Japanese Imperial (ja_JP_JP), these return the translations of 'BC'/'AD' instead of the different eras of the calendar, e.g. ‘Heisei', 'Meiji' for Japanese.

The problem in DateFormatSymbols#getEras() was reported against jdk1.4 (by developer), and fixedin jdk1.6.
http://monaco.us.oracle.com/detail.jsf?cr=4833268

2) Trinidad-2225: Client numberConverter with type=percent fails in tr_TR locale
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRINIDAD-2225

The JSLocaleElementsGenerator uses DecimalFormat.getPositiveSuffix() to generate the suffix used when formatting percentages. In Turkish locale, percentages are formatted using prefixes.

To detect this case, we will need to send the prefix data down. However, getPositivePrefix() did not always return the correct value, it was fixed for tr_TR locale starting in jdk 6u10 .

Because of these two issues, I wanted to get your feedback on moving the minimum version for the plugins to 1.6u10 and up. Any comments?

Thank you,
Yee-Wah Lee

Re: [Trinidad] RFC: Raising minimum JDK version for Trinidad plugins

Posted by Yee-Wah Lee <ye...@oracle.com>.
Hi Scott,

You are right - I should have said when the plugin code is run, during Trinidad compilation. Thanks for catching that.   So,

1. Trinidad compile - this needs to be bumped up
2. Trinidad run-time - this should stay the same because we are modifying some client Locale files (Locale_*.js), so only Javascript changes needed to uptake them.

Yee Wah

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.