Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com> on 2016/08/26 17:42:01 UTC

#cassandra-dev IRC logging

There exists a #cassandra-dev IRC channel that’s historically been used by developers discussing the project – while it’s public, it’s not archived, and it’s not a mailing list. The ASF encourages all discussion to be archived, and ideally, archived on a public mailing list.

Jake suggested, and I want to propose on the list, that we copy a log of that channel (minus join/part activity) to dev@ either daily or weekly. We’ll need to make sure we comply with Freenode’s IRC logging policy, but the project / developers receives the best of both worlds – fast, real time chat but also public archives/visibility for people who aren’t online at a given moment. The volume may be a bit higher than most of us have come expect from the list, but it brings the project closer to doing things in The Apache Way, and we can give it an easily-filtered subject for folks who don’t want that noise.

Re: #cassandra-dev IRC logging

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@thelastpickle.com>.
+1 on asfbot

--
-----------------
Nate McCall

CTO
Apache Cassandra Consulting
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Re: #cassandra-dev IRC logging

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
ASFBot is now active and logging in #cassandra-dev to
http://wilderness.apache.org/channels/#logs-#cassandra-dev

-Jake

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
just #cassandra-dev

Posted by Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@apple.com>.
Thanks, Jake!

Earlier today I submitted a patch to the website to link to the IRC archives https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12602 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12602>

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

--
co-founder, http://www.datastax.com
@spyced

Re: #cassandra-dev IRC logging

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@mebigfatguy.com>.

Posted by Gvb Subrahmanyam <Su...@TechMahindra.com>.

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Yes. I did. My bad.

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.
+1 to both as well

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: #cassandra-dev IRC logging

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@apple.com>.

[1] http://wilderness.apache.org/manual.html <http://wilderness.apache.org/manual.html>

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 26/08/2016 19:17, Jason Brown wrote:
> +1. How/where will this run? Is there any apache infra that we can make use
> of?

Don't know. Checking...

Mark

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.