Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com> on 2013/07/15 19:09:25 UTC

introducing maven-proguard-plugin

Hi all,

I've published version 0.8 of my obfuscation plugin, which can be used to
invoke ProGuard to obfuscate Maven artifacts. It is a Maven3 plugin and
requires Java6. I've tried to integrate it as well as possible into the
maven world to minimize the amount of configuration needed for it to
automatically find the proper files to obfuscate and create a nice usable
output.

The plugin website is
http://mavenproguard.sourceforge.net/project-summary.html. I've opened a
ticket to create a Sonatype project for it, so it can be included in the
central repository, but for now if you want to try it out you can download
it from SourceForge directly:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mavenproguard/files/. The source code, SVN,
tickets etc. can also be found there.

I've still got one major maven integration issue, and that's with adding the
result of the obfuscator back into maven via attachArtifact. If you use the
plugin, leave the "attach" property as false (the default) and use the
resulting jar(s) from the obfuscator via maven assembly. I e-mailed the list
about that issue a few days ago so if anyone has any insight into that I'd
appreciate any advice!

Anyway I hope someone finds this plugin helpful. Thanks!

Best regards,

Richard

RE: introducing maven-proguard-plugin

Posted by Richard Sand <rs...@idfconnect.com>.
Hi Alejandro - you're right. Actually I didn't put the right name in the
subject line! The actual artifact ID is "idfc-proguard-maven-plugin".

Best regards,

Richard

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013, Richard Sand wrote:

> Hi Stephen - ok I made those changes. The site index.html has a prominent
> trademarks acknowledgement, and the license url now points to the plain
> text
> version.
>
> For usage, if you click on the Wiki on the sourceforge page it gives usage
> and an example pom.xml snippet. The link is here:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/mavenproguard/wiki/Home/. I added links to the
> sourceforge resources to the main site as well for convenience.
>
> The plugin API seems pretty straightforward to use. I think the #1 priority
> should be filling in all of the javadocs so that developers can understand
> the API. Most of the javadocs had no comments so it was problematic to
> figure out the right techniques to do things in the proper maven way. I
> think with this API its easy for plugin developers to go astray and perform
> activities that have negative downstream consequences to other plugins.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Richard

Sent from my phone

Re: Plugin name is "idfc-maven-proguard-plugin" (was re: introducing maven-proguard-plugin)

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@IUPUI.Edu>.
On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36:19PM -0400, Richard Sand wrote:
[snip]
> The plugin API seems pretty straightforward to use. I think the #1 priority
> should be filling in all of the javadocs so that developers can understand
> the API. Most of the javadocs had no comments so it was problematic to
> figure out the right techniques to do things in the proper maven way. I
> think with this API its easy for plugin developers to go astray and perform
> activities that have negative downstream consequences to other plugins.

I'm sure that patches would be welcome, if you care to jot down what
you have learned as a start on improving the javadocs.

Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

RE: Plugin name is "idfc-maven-proguard-plugin" (was re: introducing maven-proguard-plugin)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
A couple of points:

> [...]

> download
> >> it from SourceForge directly:
> >> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mavenproguard/files/. The source code,
> >> SVN,
> >> tickets etc. can also be found there.
> >>
> >> I've still got one major maven integration issue, and that's with adding
> >> the
> >> result of the obfuscator back into maven via attachArtifact. If you use
> the
> >> plugin, leave the "attach" property as false (the default) and use the
> >> resulting jar(s) from the obfuscator via maven assembly. I e-mailed the
> >> list
> >> about that issue a few days ago so if anyone has any insight into that
> I'd
> >> appreciate any advice!
> >>
> >> Anyway I hope someone finds this plugin helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my phone

Plugin name is "idfc-maven-proguard-plugin" (was re: introducing maven-proguard-plugin)

Posted by rsand <rs...@idfconnect.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Please refrain from referring to your plugin as the maven ____ plugin.
Maven and Apache Maven are trademarks of the Apache Foundation and as such
their use requires some clarity.

We (the Maven project) have sought guidance as to how others can use our
mark and the guidance we got is that if the other work is clearly a
separate work from Maven, eg "XYZ's ____ plugin for Maven" then that is
something we can permit.

The brief check of your site on my phone looks ok (not sure if you ack the
marks though) but the email subject is not a good use.

We have to demonstrate that we actively protect our marks when
inappropriate use is brought to our attention... So ease don't refer to it
as a "maven ____ plugin" again.

Thank you for developing your plugin and growing our community, BTW

On Monday, 15 July 2013, Richard Sand wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've published version 0.8 of my obfuscation plugin, which can be used to
> invoke ProGuard to obfuscate Maven artifacts. It is a Maven3 plugin and
> requires Java6. I've tried to integrate it as well as possible into the
> maven world to minimize the amount of configuration needed for it to
> automatically find the proper files to obfuscate and create a nice usable
> output.
>
> The plugin website is
> http://mavenproguard.sourceforge.net/project-summary.html. I've opened a
> ticket to create a Sonatype project for it, so it can be included in the
> central repository, but for now if you want to try it out you can download
> it from SourceForge directly:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mavenproguard/files/. The source code,
> SVN,
> tickets etc. can also be found there.
>
> I've still got one major maven integration issue, and that's with adding
> the
> result of the obfuscator back into maven via attachArtifact. If you use the
> plugin, leave the "attach" property as false (the default) and use the
> resulting jar(s) from the obfuscator via maven assembly. I e-mailed the
> list
> about that issue a few days ago so if anyone has any insight into that I'd
> appreciate any advice!
>
> Anyway I hope someone finds this plugin helpful. Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Richard

Sent from my phone