Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by "Glenn R. Golden" <gg...@umich.edu> on 2002/06/05 02:27:40 UTC

NewRSSPortlet expiration

Does anybody know (and be willing to explain) how an RSS portlet is
supposed to decide that it's shown the same page long enough and show a
new one?  It seems to involve how long an entry is stuck in the
JetspeedDiskCache (looks like that should be 15 minutes only) and how
often the source actually changes - but the portlet itself seems to
cache the results and this needs to be updated... Since it's a
FileWatcherPortlet it seems to want to change when the disk changes, but
won't the disk remain the same until somebody asks for a new version?

If anybody has a brief explaination that they would share I'd appreciate
it.

In my tests, a very old version of the RSS content that starts up in the
cache directory and should have expired at best after 15 minutes is
never expiring for the latest version of the feed...  I'm trying to
figure out why.

Thanks!

- Glenn

Re: NewRSSPortlet expiration

Posted by "Glenn R. Golden" <gg...@umich.edu>.
Well, I think I get it now -

It's the DiskCacheDaemon which periodically checks all entries in the
JetspeedDiskCache for possible updates.  When it finds one, the portlet
notices a new file and produces new output.

Pretty neat.

The DiskCacheDaemon by default jr.p configuration runs once an hour.
News focused sites might want to get this running more frequently.

- Glenn

On Tuesday, June 4, 2002, at 08:27  PM, Glenn R. Golden wrote:

> Does anybody know (and be willing to explain) how an RSS portlet is
> supposed to decide that it's shown the same page long enough and show a
> new one?  It seems to involve how long an entry is stuck in the
> JetspeedDiskCache (looks like that should be 15 minutes only) and how
> often the source actually changes - but the portlet itself seems to
> cache the results and this needs to be updated... Since it's a
> FileWatcherPortlet it seems to want to change when the disk changes,
> but won't the disk remain the same until somebody asks for a new
> version?
>
> If anybody has a brief explaination that they would share I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> In my tests, a very old version of the RSS content that starts up in
> the cache directory and should have expired at best after 15 minutes is
> never expiring for the latest version of the feed...  I'm trying to
> figure out why.
>
> Thanks!

- Glenn