Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Peddemors <mi...@linuxmagic.com> on 2007/08/24 21:27:25 UTC

Spamrats.com

This may interest those playing with RBL checks in SA, we have released
spamrats.com as a free RBL service now.

http://www.spamrats.com

RATS-NoPtr and RATS-Dyna will be the most useful, RATS-Spam is still in
testing phase, so is not available yet.

This data is collected from ISP's all over north america, and is generated by
the most virulant of RATS.  Normally in order to become listed, they will
have triggered several checks, including rate limiters, and conform to
signatures that indicate they are Bot or Trojan orientated.. rather than the
more traditional use of Spam traps, so we do not expect false positives.

We actually recommend that RATS-NoPtr be used to block at the edge level,
however you can use it as you see fit.

(Mail servers should have Reverse DNS right? And they sure should not be
sending excessive amounts of email, to multiple ISP's)

RATS-Dyna might in theory get triggered by a mail server that uses
Non-Conforming Best Practises for Reverse DNS, (but they also have to be
sending abusive levels of email to get listed, and appear to be home PC style
connections)

Have fun :)

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
Michael Peddemors - President/CEO - LinuxMagic
Products, Services, Support and Development
Visit us at http://www.linuxmagic.com
"LinuxMagic" is a Registered TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.

those of the author and are not intended to  represent those of the company.